Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Over clocking P4

Question on what to set the multiplier at it is set on default (17 ) as i raise the fsb should i be reducing the multiplier. Iv'e increased the voltage by .25 (readings for vcore 1.775 )(vdimm is 1.65)My votage only goes up in .25 increments for the vcore & .15 for vdimm, up to 1.88 temps are good 42 c at an idol trying to get over 2.
    P4 1.7 (willamette) socket 423
    via motherboard
    512 memory
    via chip set
    award bios

You can not alter the multiplier on a P4 (unless you have an engineering sample) as it is hard locked within the core so raising the FSB is your only option though you will be limited by the AGP/PCI buses which can't be locked (of course Willamettes arn't good overclockers to start with) but are you sure that your vdimm isn't 2.65v?

Yes it's 2.65 So do i set the cpu ratio wich is at 17 is that not the same as setting the multiplier it goes from 8 to 24 or default

That is the multiplier and if you change that it will either make no difference at all or refuse to boot.

Ok so i'll leave the ratio at 17/default. Another thing my board has a jumper (JCK 1 ) it is set on default 100 MHz if i jump it to 133 what do i have to do so my computer will boot is there some settings in bios or am i limited to 100 MHz Here's some info from SISoftware if it's any help
    Processor 1 >>
    < Processor >
    Model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700MHz
    Speed: 1.76GHz
    Performance Rating: PR1936 (estimated)
    Type: Standard
    Package: OOI PGA423
    Rated Speed/FSB: 1700MHz / 4x 100MHz
    Multiplier: 17/1x
    Generation: G7
    Name: P4W (Willamette) Pentium 4 1.3-2GHz 1.7-1.75V
    Revision/Stepping: 0 / A (8)
    Stepping Mask: C1
    Microcode: MU0F0A05
    Core Voltage Rating: 1.750V
    Maximum Physical / Virtual Add:36-bit / 32-bit

I've never known one of those CPU's to make that jump from 100MHz to a 133MHz FSB without some form of exotic cooling.
    With the limitations of that VIA chipset you'll likely get the FSB to around 110MHz (approx. 1.9GHz) as by then the PCI bus will be running at around 37Mhz and this is where it will become unstable. You would get a slightly better overclock with a good mainboard based on an Intel chipset but 2.1GHz would be about the max you could expect even then.

What was the point of putting a jumper for the 2 different settings.
    Thanks for the replies

Thread Information