Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I need better RAMS?

Im not gonna comment on what ram you should get because some of the other people here are a liuttle bit more knowledgable then me with that kind of stuff, but i do know the quality of your ram is very important in the overclcoking of your processor. So if you reazlly want to overclcok PC3500 would be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jd53887
    A little OVER my price budget??? LMAO That's more than double my price budget. I know I want 1gb total so I was thinking I'm getting the second one later.
    That's $80 more than your budget, not twice as much...

Getting the second one later wouldn't be a bad idea.

Your second links works, but the first one doesn't. It's like I said before; it's best to try to get CAS 2 if you can. That said, it's $60 less than what I found, so it wouldn't be a bad purchase. It won't be so much better to get RAM with CL2.5 that you should try to spend money you don't have.

If you were going to get 2x256MB instead, get the $54 stuff I found before. It's amazingly cheap for it's quality.

A GB of RAM will certainly help in some memory-intensive applications (like video encoding), but it won't be absolutely necessary. It will show virtually no performance increase over 512MB in most situations. Having much faster RAM instead of more (PC3500 over PC2700) should provide better performance in just about anything. When OCing, the quality of the RAM should be more important than the quantity. Getting CL2 RAM would be best, but you would still get geat performance increases with any PC3500.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    4 sticks performs worse than 2.
    Actually if you use 4 good quality single sided modules (be sure that they're the exact same) you will get slightly better performance with the i865 chipset though this will limit your memory capacity but if you use double sided modules then your better off only running 2 sticks which is just a tad slower than 4 single sided modules (if you want full on memory capacity using double sided modules then there will be a very slight performance hit for doing so).
    Last edited by wayout44; 07-03-2004 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: Do I need better RAMS?

Ok..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...207-011&depa=1

Does everyone agree I should get this? If I get 2 of those, what's the highest OC I can get to?
    -Case - Aspire X-Dreamer (Silver)
    -Processor - P4 2.8C OC 3.26GHz
    -Motherboard - Chaintech S865PE Socket 478 Intel® Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Intel 865PE + ICH5
    -RAMs - pqi TURBO (2 x 1GB) DDR400 Dual Channel 2.5-3-2-5
    -Graphic Card - HIS ATI 512MB X1650 Pro
    -Hard Drive - Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb cache (250gb)
    -CD Drive - NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A

Default Re: Do I need better RAMS?

I certainly think you should. But we have no idea how high you can OC. That's for you to find out on your own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information