Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need better RAMS?

Default Do I need better RAMS?

This is my computer:

P4 2.8C northwood
    Chaintech - Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5 / Socket: 478
    2X 512mb Centon PC2700 Dual Channel
    ATI 9800 Pro

I overclocked it to 3.12 ghz. I think I increased the voltage from 200 to 216 or 220. I forgot. I'll check later in a sec. I'm pretty sure it was 220. Anyways, should I get rid of my rams and get PC3200 or PC3500? My mobo can't take PC3500 but I figured if I overclock, it will go full power as PC3500 instead of being capped at PC3200.

BTW, I took the side of my computer out and put a fan there. It's one of those home fans. It's square and a lil taller than my computer. The computer case temp is about 90F. Well, I putted the sensor near the back of my hdd so the temp is basiclly the hdd temp. Also, the temp of my CPU heatsink is about 85F. When I turn the air conditioner in my room on, all the temps drops to about 75F. I thought it's suppose to be hotter than this.

Actually PC3200 should be the minimum you use as anything less is choking the CPU but there should be no reason that you can't use the faster than PC3500. As for your voltage those figures sound more like your FSB though 220MHz would only give 3080MHz so look again but your core voltage should stay below 1.7v. Your temps would be better given as Celcius but your probe on the HSF will not be telling the true core temp which would be a lot warmer, my 2.4C @ 3.5GHz runs 1.65v with a V7+ and idles at 44C getting up to 51C under full load.

Aight I just checked. In bios. I change the CPU Clock to 220 mhz from 200mhz. The FSB is 223mhz. I checked with CPU-Z. Also, the numbers are always changing in the Clocks core speed. It changes by like 3mb. I know that's not much anything but I thought it should be a diffinite number w/o changing. I'll go check the voltage again now.

I dont know how I can check the voltage. My bios aren't telling me. Back to the RAMS, even though my mobo doesn't support the PC3500, I shoud still get it?

I use the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe which is based on the same chipset and it runs on PC3500 (XMS3500 with good old BH5 chips in fact) but I've had PC4000 in it with no probs.

The speed fluctuates a little, thats common. Yes, you should most definately get some Cas2 PC3500 RAM if you can afford it.

umm yah if you can afford it (cas 2 3500??, Ive never seen any DDR rated for that except some dual channel, but it was like 350cdn at least for 512...)

Quote Originally Posted by Let_Me_Live
    umm yah if you can afford it (cas 2 3500??, Ive never seen any DDR rated for that except some dual channel, but it was like 350cdn at least for 512...)
    You must not get out much. Cas2 PC3500 is very common.

That's funny. The way I saw it was that you have to not get out much to know bout it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information