Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OC'ing newbie questions...

Default OC'ing newbie questions...

Well i have been doing some studying, and today's pentium 4's seem very over clockable with much success. I have decided i would like to try OC to see what the hype is all about. But first i have a few questions:

What is the best software to use to OC (obviously starting from the BIOS, and then windows software).

Obviously the stock hardware on the CPU won't be able to handle extreme OC'ing so what do you guys recommend (that isn't water cooling) for a heatsink/fan?

My ATi X800Pro seems to be running sufficiently well, but i would like a little more out of it, i have enabled ATi's overdrive to get that little "umph" but what have you guys had success with, and what thresholds are there that i should be aware of?

RAM is also something i would like to test out with oc'ing, anywhere i can find the basic do's and dont's?

Also what can i expect from OC'ing?
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

Vantec Aeroflow, Thermaltake Volcano 7+ are two good coolers. Don't use any software to overclock, do it all from the bios.

Default Re: OC'ing newbie questions...

Well i just ordered a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ with artic silver 5 3.5g. I'll let you know more when it gets here.
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

Forget software for overclocking the CPU. ASUS has in its BIOS the A1 Overclocker Tuner which will allow 5%,10%,20% and 30% overclock settings so use that first and then fine tune the settings manually.

ATi's Overdrive IMO isn't worth using as it only adjusts the core speed according to temperatures but does nothing with the memory speed so go grab another overclocking utility (in fact try a few of them as some people prefer one over the others mainly due to their layouts) and most can be found here.

Yeah i use ATi Tool i just need to get a better cooler for my card so i don't fry my memory (the cooler only covers the GPU because the memory is GDDR3)
    -Michael Stanley

I got my Thermaltake Volcano 7+ today and installed it. It was a pita to install (the holes didn't have threads in them for the screws, so i used 1 screw and a vice grip to "create" threads). But it installed perfectly onto my 478 connector and man is it loud! I turned it down to low and median, but i preferre high to keep the processor as cool as possible. It looks pretty trick. The heaksink is all copper and it looks cool in my Thermaltake case!

It also has lowered the temp of my cpu during this hot day (been like 90'F in my room!) about 4'C which i think is pretty fantastic!
    -Michael Stanley

Thread Information