Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 2800+ vs AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Default Mobile AMD Athlon 64 2800+ vs AMD Athlon 64 2800+

i was just lookin at the specs for both, and i saw that there were a few differences in the processors.
    1. clawhammer vs newcastle core, it looks like the clawhammer is better but i'm not sure.
    2. 1.4v vs 1.5v this is better for cooling, thus better for overclocking
    3. 1mb l2 cache vs 512kb l2 cache, all i can say is w00t!
    4. 1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz, the mobile can be overclocked 200 mhz, no biggie

so all in all, i think that the mobile athlon is a much better processor for $22. whats ur opinion?

also, how high do u think it'll safely clock on air?

Default Re: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 2800+ vs AMD Athlon 64 2800+

How high various A64s will OC is not common knowledge and it's largely dependant on the motherboard...

If you really want to OC like crazy, the Mobile 2700 with a Drillhammer core looks good at 1.2V. Less cache will actually help it OC more, although processors with more cache will recieve larger bonuses. For another $35 or so, you can get a 2800 Drillhammer. If you can afford the extra cost, I'd say one of those would produce quite excellent OCing results when combined with nice cooling. Likely much more than more expensive counterparts. A nice OCing motherboard and, again, good cooling, will likely yield very high clock speeds.

For best stock performance, the extra 1MB cache seems to help a lot. More than the 200MHz. I have no idea how much this limits OCing, but the 1.4V instead of 1.5V probably helps to counter that. I think in the end (as in after OCing) the 1MB L2 cache Clawhammers are going to beat Newcastles clocked a little higher. The benchmarks show the processors with 1MB cache beat the 512KB ones by leaps and bounds in some tests.
    For more information, you may want to check out this thread and this Anandtech article.

whats the best socket 754 motherboard for overclocking? i am kinda on a budget, and 600 is my max. thanks in advance

list of what i need:
    case+psu
    mobo
    ram(pref. a gig)
    amd64 processor
    hsf
    Last edited by m0s3s; 07-25-2004 at 10:41 AM.

I couldn't tell you what motherboard is best for OCing as I haven't read any articles and I don't own an Athlon 64 of any kind. The obvious choices like Abit and Asus all seem to have OCing problem (no PCI\AGP lock, poor OCer overall, limited voltage or HT options), based on user reviews at Newegg.. You can look for some articles at Anandtech, HardOCP, Tom's Hardware Guide, and similar sites.

Thread Information