Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Raising FSB

Default Raising FSB

Ok i understand that a P4 2.4 is around 133 so that means i multiply that by 4 wich will be 532 im using 3DMark03 for testing so far best score is 1377 at 140Mhz.
    My defualt was 100 i went to 140 so far if i go to 250 all at once what all can i expect bad to happin?? LOL Also im not sure i understand all i know about the 3DMark test tool where an how to i see where weakness is or prob?? and when i raise FSB what kind of heat do i need to worry about?? Thanks i know this is a big Post LOL but i dont want to do anything wrong Thanks LZepp!!

Default Re: Raising FSB

Overclocking is luck, so it can happen at any time. Keep an eye on your temps under load. Also, you might wanna get Prime95 downloaded and let that run. If it runs for 24 hours without an error, that speed is safe. Additionally, you can test the memory with Memtest 86.

For heat, if you're not getting errors in Prime95 or crashing, it's not too hot. However, the lower the temp, the better.

If your P4 2.4 has an FSB of 533 (133x4), its a 2.4B. In general, you should be able to hit between 3.0-3.2GHz with stock cooling and maybe a slight voltage bump. Not guaranteed, but a very likely possibility. This also depends on your motherboard and RAM. I've got my 2.4B @ 3.1GHz (174MHz x 4 for the FSB), but I've got a motherboard that can lock the AGP and PCI bus.

I have the ASUS P4P8x with 500/440 FSB this prime 95 do you have to run it 24hrs?? does it run in background while gaming? Im still learning the Bios tweakin an OCn so please forgive all the questions LOL P/S my 2.40 is at 2.89 now an temps saty around 38c in game

You don't have to run Prime 95 at all. However, it taxes the CPU more than 3DMark does. But it does run in the background, so you can still do whatever you want. Just don't reboot it for 24 hours (longer wont hurt anything) when you run the t0rture test.

ok in The 3DMarks what do i look for? Slow Frame rate or tearing etc... Dont realy understand all i know about it.I know that so far it runs smooth theres a Nature Vid test that runs a lil slow but id say thats a real High Grafix test my CPU test score is like 548 or so any help will be greatly apreciated Thanks Morgan LZepp!!

I thought the fsb was 2x? so if ur fsb is 133 its 366?
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Quote Originally Posted by LZepp
    ok in The 3DMarks what do i look for? Slow Frame rate or tearing etc...
    Basically you're just making sure that the system doesn't lockup, hang or return you to the desktop, if it does any of these you'll either need to increase the CPU voltage a little (stay below 1.7v) and/or memory voltage but if that doesn't work then you're likely past the CPU's capability and you'll need to reduce the FSB back to your last stable setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglee
    I thought the fsb was 2x? so if ur fsb is 133 its 366?
    Well either your maths arn't that good or a typo came in there but where your Athlon uses a double pumped FSB (x 2) a P4 uses a quad pumped FSB (x 4).

Ok then so far im good on Test ive raised FSB to 200 then 250 an git a test score of 1288 both times tested in game play temps still at 37 an 38 c.Is the DRam Freq need to be upped to?? im runnin Core cpu at 1.67 DDR Ref at 2.85 AGP VDDQ at 1.50 Graffix app size is 128 with 768 Megs Ram can i go to 256? on the App size or is it 266? Thanks agin WayOut LZepp!!
    Last edited by LZepp; 08-22-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Try and keep your CPU/memory ratio at 1:1 but you can try the AGP Aperture at 256MB.

well i have DRam set auto so dont realy know what to do yet AGP/PCI is at 66.66/33/33 what i dont understand is seems the higher i raise Bus lower score i had Bus at 140 an scored 1377 but on either so far games seem to run a lil better Graphix are nice an clean no tearing or glitching. I did hit a snag tho i raised AI clock to 30% which put me at 3.14 an it caused system to reboot so went back to 20% seems ok

Thread Information