Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New To OCing.. Little worried.

Default New To OCing.. Little worried.

Hey guys I recently invested in some new computer parts that I read around were good if you wanted a stable OC'd system for gaming. Now my problem is that I think its running a bit hot and my SATA drive is a pain to deal with sometimes.. But first here are specs

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 1.83ghz OC'd to XP 3200+ 2.21ghz
    Asus A7N8X-E Delux NForce 2 Ultra 400
    Kingston ValueRam pc3200 512Mg DDR Sdram
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80.00Gig SATA
    Radeon 9600 XT 256 DDR OC'd to 560mhz Core 290mhz Mem.
    Coolmaster ACB-v83 Jet 7+ Heatsink/Fan, 3 Pin.

Anyway the CPU is running at 56C on idle and ive seen it go to 62 after a couple hours of Desert Combat on high settings.. Im a bit worried about it but havent been able to find a definitive answer to if this is a problem and how it can be remedied.. And this SATA drive is great and all but my gosh it is a pain to install windows on, and for some reason every install of windows in the last 2 days has messed up Ive ended up formating and reinstalling no less then 3 times, unexplainable why though.

The case itself has a big fan on the side blowing hot air out and the cpu fan/heatsink assembly is also blowing hot air out as opposed to sucking cold air in. I think maybe I can cool the system better if perhaps I flip the fan on the cpu so that it sucks cold air in and the fan in the center of my Tower side panel has it blowing out.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

Ive included a picture of my case. Except mine is black and the side thats facing you in the picture is all clear plastic and the fan is in the deadcenter of that side panel in the middle of the clear plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images New To OCing.. Little worried.-n313_big-gif 

Default Re: New To OCing.. Little worried.

Well make sure you have all of the latest drivers for the SATA from Asus.

You could certainly use more fans for that, and even a new case, perhaps. You could also get a different CPU cooler along with some Arctic Silver 5 to go on the CPU and GPU (by the way, I'd recommend you overclock that 9600XT if you haven't). Whatever you do, I'd recommend taking that OC down a tad until you get better cooling, because those are really bad temps.

Just and update.. I did it.. I removed the side of my Tower and I have this rather big fan in my room that i put about a meter away blowing cold air in to the side of my tower that i took the panel off. Temps are down to 45C idle 47C In Usage.

Those are the kind of temps you should go for, although I would personally try to keep idle around 40c.

About the messed up installs, are you using the sata drivers correctly? Are you using the proper nforce drivers? Are you trying to run it with no updates? Is it sp1?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

yeah its all updated once windows is installed they work fine.. just installing windows when u have a sata drive is somewhat of a hassel.

Thread Information