Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it safe?

Default Re: Is it safe?

Well, if you can afford high-spec RAM then get it, as you will be able to use it at a later date when you upgrade your mobo/cpu and are operating at a higher FSB speed.

Get PC2700 or higher. Depending on which sites you buy from, 512mb PC3200 should only be around 15 more expensive, thats about $25-$30 or so. You might as well get the highest spec you can afford.

Its all about costs, and the level of overclock you want from your system. Ideally you will replace your existing memory module as well. It may not be worth the costs involved though.
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

Thanks for the info.

Update: I tired putting my FSB speed to 150 and then my multiplyer to 13. So i restarted my comp and it dident boot up. So i reset CMOS, so now should i just experiment with what ever works? Between FSB and the Multiplyer?

In the U.S., the prices between PC3200 and slower RAM do not vary at all. There's absolutely no reason to get anything slower than PC3200 for you if you're in the U.S.

Generally, it is best to lower the multiplier and raise the FSB, if you aren't limited by RAM. The FSB increases will make the processor run faster and use more bandwidth, while the multiplier increases will just make it run faster. Any Athlons bought within the last year or so will be multiplier-locked (can't remember precisely when they started locking them) and will only overclock through FSB adjustments. Anyway, if you aren't getting bad temperatures and your RAM is rated higher than you're running it, you will need to increase the voltage on the processor in order to get it to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Anyway, if you aren't getting bad temperatures and your RAM is rated higher than you're running it, you will need to increase the voltage on the processor in order to get it to boot.
    That could be the problem, but how much should increase it?

Do by the smallest adjustment the BIOS can handle. When it becomes unstable again and the other possible causes seem unlikely, increase it more.

Ok thanks for the info i will report back on what happens after i test it out. Wish me luck.

Edit: BTW what is a good temp to shoot for? And what should i not go over on my voltage?
    Last edited by Cap.Jay; 09-20-2004 at 06:46 AM.

Idles should be in the 40s (celcius) or lower. I can't recall the maximum recommended voltage for Athlon XPs, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information