Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe?

Default Is it safe?

I've talked with my friends about possibly overclocking my Athlon XP 2400+, and most of them think it's a horrible idea and that I'll burn up my processor. I was planning on buying a Volcano 7+ fan to replace my inadequate retail fan. I'm very new to this, and I was planning on following the guides extremely well to make sure I don't screw up.

Is it fairly safe?

Default Re: Is it safe?

Yes. You can overclock even on stock cooling. Depending on the speed of your RAM, you may be more limited by the RAM than the processor. It will certainly help to replace it with a good cooler and use Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal compound, though.

Well, I have 512MB of DDR RAM, but I don't know any more than that, unfortunately.

How much do you think I could overclock it on stock cooling, and how much on a new fan?

Download CPU-Z and tell me what speed it says your RAM is (not what speed it is running at, but what speed it's rated for, such as PC3200). I can't tell you for sure how far you can overclock it, but if the RAM is faster than the processor's FSB, you could get quite far.

Unfortunately, it doesn't show anything but 512 MB for my RAM.

I have the same question how far can i overclock my AMD Athlon 2000+. Right now i am running at 1.666.7 MHz and my muiltiplyer is 12.5 with a FSB speed of 133.3 MHz. My ram is PC2700.

How far can i overclock or is it not safe for my comp?

Thanks for the help, semi new to overclocking and comp modification in general.

Edit:And is it better to raise the muiltiplier or the FSB speed on AMD's
    Last edited by Cap.Jay; 09-19-2004 at 10:06 AM.

RAM is PC2100.

PC2100 RAM is limited to a 133MHz bus speed, so dont expect massive speed increases from overclocking. For example, if you clock your XP2400 to an FSB of 166MHz, your RAM will only operate at 133MHz still (obviously double these figures -DDR)

Dont be put off though, a processor running at a higher FSB will still give you a good performance increase in terms of MIPS(millions of instructions per sec) and MFLOPS(millions of floating ops per sec). If you are after more, then upgrade your RAM to PC3200 or 3500.
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap.Jay
    I have the same question how far can i overclock my AMD Athlon 2000+. Right now i am running at 1.666.7 MHz and my muiltiplyer is 12.5 with a FSB speed of 133.3 MHz. My ram is PC2700.

How far can i overclock or is it not safe for my comp?

Thanks for the help, semi new to overclocking and comp modification in general.

Edit:And is it better to raise the muiltiplier or the FSB speed on AMD's
    Athlons love to be overclocked. You will find people who prefer raising the FSB for overclocking, or some people who prefer to raise the multiplier for overclocking. The best results come from raising both, and generally will give you a more stable system.

All overclocking is dependent on your cooling. Supposing you have decent cooling you could probably raise the FSB to 166MHz and the multiplier to 13x.

With the PC2700 RAM you will gain a good performance boost from this, as the RAM will operate at 166MHz bus speed as well. Before you start overclocking, download the Toast program (for testing the processor) and the Motherboard Monitor program (for keeping an eye on CPU temps).

You might also need to boost the core voltage when you raise the FSB. In this forum there is a post called "Barton OCing". Just read the attachment, it might be of help.
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

Would a stick of 512MB PC2700 work, or should I look on eBay and such sites to try and find a rediculously good deal on some PC3200 or some such rot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information