Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: overclocking p 4 hyperthread

Default overclocking p 4 hyperthread

i just need someone to correct me if i am wrong.

this is what i am running:

windows xp pro service pack one
    gigabyte 8ipe1000 pro series mobo
    pentium 4 2.6 800 fsb, hyperthreaded
    system bus set to default 200
    1 gig kinkston ddr 400 pc3200 value ram running in dual channel
    thermolake xsavior series heatsink running variable speed control
    80 ide maxtor 7200 rpm 8 mb buffer
    80 sata wd 7200 rpm 8 meg buffer
    200 sata wd 7200 rpm 8 meg buffer
    ati rad.9800 pro not overclocked. yet.
    sound blaster audigy 2Z platium series
    dvd rom
    cdrw drive
    three case fans

my question is, i found some kingston hyperx gig ram kit made for dual chanel. it is ddr 3700 Cas Latency: 3-4-4-8-1T. if i put that in will in increase my system bus to something like 233 which in turn will increase my cpu to 3.06 (something like that)ball parking it. i can increase voltage and all that stuff in the gigabytes overlcloking tool. according to that tool, if i increase the system bus to 233 i will overclock the the cpu to the 3.06?
    and while i am on the subject, what is the Cas Latency: 3-4-4-8-1T specs and why is it important. i looked in my mobo book and there isn't any specs called out for that board. just says non buffered and non ecc. nothing about cas latency.

and if someone could give me a link on how to overclock my already kik butt ati 9800 pro i would really be a happy camper
    Last edited by RiP_ZiGGy; 09-27-2004 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: overclocking p 4 hyperthread

You would have to replace your current RAM with the PC3700. You could then overclock the processor and RAM quite a bit more. Cooling will probably be your stopping point.

CAS latency... I'll just point you to www.ocfaq.com to read about it. Do a search on guides for CAS latency, and you'll find a couple articles that will tell you what you need to know.

For your 9800 Pro, same thing. Www.ocfaq.com will give you very good information on overclocking it.

BTW, it's best to finsh overclocking the CPU before you try the video card at all.

cool thank you very much for the info. btw i knew that i wouldn't be able to use both pc 3700 and the pc 3200 at the same time. i was just wondering before i wasted almost three hundred dollars on the new ram. well again thank you, and would u like to buy my old ram if this works? joking

what would u recommend the stopping point for the overclocking? i no u said the temp would, but i think i got a gook heatsink, i can have speeds up to 6500 rpm's on the hinksink fan, plus it is all copper to boot? just a wild guess? and wild guess on the fsb bus i would then have?
    Last edited by RiP_ZiGGy; 09-27-2004 at 07:36 AM.

I wouldn't recommend that particular RAM if you are overclocking (or at all, since it's for overclocking). Some PC3500 or PC3700 OCZ Enhannced Bandwidth RAM will be great for overclocking. Some Crucial Ballistix PC3200 would also be good. Both overclock way above rated speeds.

Both of those modules will run over DDR 500 speeds, so you're looking at at least 300MHz FSB.

Thread Information