Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OCing, XP 3200+, NF7-S, PQI PC3200 2-2-2-5 ram

Default OCing, XP 3200+, NF7-S, PQI PC3200 2-2-2-5 ram

I'm new to overclocking and would like to poll the board for some tips n tricks. Planning to bump up the FSB to ~220 and will probably have to increase Vcore and Vdimm. I understand the multiplier is locked unless I want to do an L1 mod, but will not really give me much additional performance and most likely not worth the risk of doing a chip mod.

Most of the threads are referring to the 166 FSB Barton chips. Anything to look out for on the 200 Mhz chips? I would expect more heat, but how much? Will I be able to get to 220 with a Thermaltake Silent Boost?

I am also looking for a mid range graphics card that I can OC and have an ATI AIW 128 card in an old box. I like the TV-in feature and dual monitor support. .... so do I go with a AIW 9600 XT, or a Gforce 5600 + TV PCI card?

Last question is about my memory selection. I went with the PQI 3200 2-2-2-5 DDR ram after reading a great review. Anyone have experince with this ram?

Thanks, John
    NewEngland John

Go Sox...

Default Re: OCing, XP 3200+, NF7-S, PQI PC3200 2-2-2-5 ram

You sohuld have gone with the Mobile. It's cheaper and will overclock further. The 3200 is a waste of money. On second thought, it's a huge waste of money. There are much better options in socket 754 and socket 478.

Your overclock will vary. You sohuld have a good HSF and Arctic Silver 5. I'd say you could easily get past 220, although there is a wire mod (a fairly safe one that isn't permanent) that may be required to get anything close to stability.

If those are the cards you're looking at, don't even bother overclocking the CPU, if gaming is your thing. Those cards are incredibly weak for this system. I wouldn't get anything less than a 9800 Pro, and a GeForce 6800 wouldn't be a terrible idea (I'd say a GT or X800 Pro would be a waste fo money for this system... well, maybe). Do you want AIW features on a card that sucks for gaming, or a card without them that kicks ass? Plus, you can always get a PCI TV tuner card, later...

I haven't used the RAM personally, but it isn't bad stuff at all. I think it would have been worth the extra to get Crucial Ballistix PC3200 or OC P3200 EL Platinum rev. 2, but it's not enough of a difference to care about. The XP3200 was where you wasted money...

Well too late now on the 3200. Prices have come down quite a bit so I wasted about $70. I'm not a gamer, but due some AV editing and like to watch tv on my computer. I hear that the latest AIW is very buggy. Wondered if going back a rev or two to the 9600xt AIW would be less buggy.

My HSF is Thermaltake Silent Boost. I realize this isn't a Volcano 12, but it's rated at 21 dB for a quite tv and AV environment. I have the Artic Silver Ceramique stuff. Was thinking of lapping the HS before mounting to get a better thermal transfer.

Thanks for your comments.

John
    NewEngland John

Go Sox...

My point was the 3200 was a waste of money, regardless of price changes.

Your HSF should be fine, though.

Follow up:
    NF7-S. 3200+, PQI Turbo 2225 1gig. Currently running stable at 230FSB, x11.5 CPU multiplier, Vcore 1.8 (1.76 actual), Memory timings at 2.5,3,3,9 at 2.8V.

PCMark2002 CPU 8189 Memory 7290 this us up from stock PCMark2002 CPU 6804 and Memory 6398. That's 20.3% improvement on the CPU mark and 14% on the Memory mark. Spent 50$ more than the 2500+ so not such a bad waste of money :-)

ATI AIW 9700P will overclock to 360/340 from 325/310 using AITTool. Aquamark3 22,567

I have played with vcore, chipset V, memory V, and memory timings. Any ideas to get a few more Mhz from the FSB would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about many other settings in the SoftMenuIII.

Thanks, John
    NewEngland John

Go Sox...

I'd say you should be happy with that overclock. Really, 2.6GHz is pretty good, and it won't do much good for most games and even other applications to keep increasing it. You might go all the way to CAS 3 if you want the RAM to run faster, though. But what kind of temperatures are you getting? Also, have you stressed test with Prime95? Booting doesn't necessarily mean stability.

Your 9700 Pro is really the only thing holding you back in most games. You can replace the cooler with a really nice one (and make use of your Arctic Silver 5). I'd recommend one of these. I got very good results with a weaker model on my 9800 Pro.

Thread Information