Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking Virgin

Default Overclocking Virgin

I have just bought a new PC to replace a battered old machine i bought far too long ago.
    Specs @
    AMD 64 3000+
    512 ddr
    80 gig hdd
    geforce fx 5200

On using SiSandra, the mainboard came out as ASUSTeK Computer INC. Diablo. Dunno if this helps. Im guessing you read the topic name and already realised i am an overclocking noob as it were. I was hoping to overclock both the gfx card and the cpu as i have read articles on both and found out they are likely candidates for some pushin :P I know the very basics of overclocking but have never tried it (very VERY basics). I can overclock my gfx card already but didnt want to venture into it and find myself melting everything :S It is an OEM machine btw; compaq. Can anyone give me some tips on cooling or general safety ?

Default Re: Overclocking Virgin

I'd say you can't overclock, but maybe you can. Most Asus board are pretty good overclockers, but you'll probably need to update the BIOS as it's likely Compaq has placed its own BIOS.

You can add case fans, replace the CPU's heat sink, and replace the thermal compound and the CPU's heat sink and the GPU's heat sink to improve cooling. All three are fairly cheap and will help quite a lot. At the same time, overclocking isn't really going to fix all of your problems. Your video card is so ancient that if you want to play any highly-graphical games you'll want to simply replace it. Overclocking will help performance a lot as it is, but you'll deisre much better performance.

The first thing to do is overclock your CPU. It's always best to do that before the GPU. I'd say you should try to keep CPU temps in the 40s at idle (the temperature that the motherboard reports either when you first start the computer or the one that the BIOS gives you). I don't think the 5200 had any temperatures, so you'll just have to go by when you get artifacts. Take it very slowly when you increase core and memory, and you probably want melt anything.

In any case, you would have been better of building your own machine. It's very easy, gives better results in terms of bang-for-buck, and it can feel very empowering to first-timers.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-10-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into all your suggestions and see what sort of a budget im working with. Also, I would like some help finding out which mobo i actually have so i can update the drivers and BIOS etc.

Running HWinfo it came out as: ASUS nVidia nForce3 150 + MCP2

And looking on the ASUStek website it could either be a K8N, K8N-E Deluxe, K8V, K8V Deluxe, K8V SE Deluxe or a K8V-X. Any clue which updates are for me? Thanks again
    Last edited by Scuz; 10-10-2004 at 09:00 PM.

You're going to have to figure out the specific model. Try CPU-Z in my signature. None of the boards on the ASUS web site come up as being nForce 3 150 boards (and boy did you get screwed there; that's pretty much the worst socket 754 chipset there is).

Getting the same thing. I found unified drivers on the nvidia site, but I dont know how i'm gonna update my BIOS as there doesnt seem to be anything about it there.
    Last edited by Scuz; 10-10-2004 at 10:47 PM.

Thread Information