Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie to overclocking

Default newbie to overclocking

i was just trying to get some advice to overclock an msi ms-6378 ver 3 motherboard, athlon xp 1600, with ati radeon 9200 , with 512 of ram and 30 gb, and two 60 gb.

Default Re: newbie to overclocking

Can't tell you how good the motherboard is for overclocking since I've never heard of it. I don't think I'd look to give you a walktrough of overclocking, so here's the first reliable food result:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...uides/OCguide/

For the video card, you'll want to go here and grab the latest softmodded Catalysts. Then download ATI Tool. Don't overclock the video card until you're done with the processor.

For more information about overclocking in general, you may want to check out www.ocfaq.com.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-12-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xgsrdriverx
    i was just trying to get some advice to overclock an msi ms-6378 ver 3 motherboard,
    Probably not much at all being based on the VIA KLE133 chipset, does it have options in the BIOS for changing the FSB or voltages? If not then you'll have to try a software solution like CPUFSB or SoftFSB and hope that they can do something for you.

Actually It Has Something That Says Frequency And Voltage And It Also Has Cpu Clock Speed In Mhz.

If you can change any of the frequencies, that's how you overclock. You want to increase the FSB, or Front Side Bus frequency. Try to keep idle (the temperature your motherboard give you when you start the computer) temps in the 40s or lower. If it stops booting or becomes unstable and you still have good temperatures, then try increasing the voltage by the smallest increment available. Your RAM might limit you, though. What speed is the RAM you're using reated for?

hello,

I have a question about this since I have the same motherboard, although it is a version 2 (I think the difference is the ethernet card). Anyway, I cannot change the values of the frequency and voltage in the BIOS although I can change the CPU clock speed and PCI speed. I find that when I change the clock speed even to the smallest increment, the system becomes unstable. I read that one of the things you can do to make it stable is increase the voltage. Since I have an AMD Duron (Morgan) I can use the pencil trick to do this. My question is if I have to do both the pencil trick then adjust the voltage through the BIOS, or will the pencil trick change the voltage for me?

P.S. In case you're wondering, the problem is not tempreture. The temprature hits 39 to 44 deg Celsius (depending on how high I change the clock speed to), which seems like a low temprature.
    Last edited by daufoi; 12-01-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Once you set the voltage on the CPU the mainboard's BIOS will use that setting, here's a pencil and cut guide if you don't already have one, http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht..._painting.html

Hey wayout44, thanks for the link. I went to that page and it gave me more questions... so I hope you don't mind.

First, if my Duron has the bridges connected, can I cut the connection with an X-acto knife? I am assuming that is what's meant when you say "pencil and CUT guide"

Second, the AMD overclocking guide on TweakTown and other tweak sites say to unlock the Duron, you have to connect the bridges in the L1 area. However, the link you gave me (more specifically at http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html ) says to change the voltage the L7 bridges need to be changed. So, do I have to change both (L1 to unlock and L7 to change the volts)?

Third, on http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html , they have it max out at 1.85V. Is this the max for the CPU or can I go higher if need be? I have heard some people going .3V over default. Currently, my Duron is at 1.76V.
    Last edited by daufoi; 12-03-2004 at 12:24 AM.

Yes the L1 bridges control the multiplier while the L7 bridges control the voltage at which the maximum setting is 1.85v (you're going to want a very good HSF just for that setting) but yes that sounds like the knife that they used to cut the bridges (I have only done the L1's as I've always had a BIOS that can raise the voltage).

Well, I have the manufacturer's HSF. Will that be enough, as it is keeping 1.76V at 44deg C max during peak CPU usage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information