Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My Heatsink Fell Off

Exclamation My Heatsink Fell Off

I built a water cooled pc and thought it would be better to replace my graphics card (nVidia GT) heasink with other "better heatsinks" (heatsinks seen here). The heatsinks attach via preinstalled thermal tape on the bottom. Then my PC was sitting their and one of the heatsinks fell off the graphics card. I'm lucky the PC was off, but can I trust these heatsinks again or should I replace them with the original cooler? What happens if I am running Doom 3 and one falls off, will the memory (and whole card) be dead? Will the performance vary either way?

Default Re: My Heatsink Fell Off

First off, these are RAM sinks and while they will aid in keeping the onboard memory modules a bit cooler, they are not vital to the operation of the video board. Secondly, thermal tape should ALWAYS be avoided whenever humanly possible. This is one of the worst inventions to date and the only reason it came into existence was to keep lawsuits to a minumum for manufacturers selling cooling products. Their heat dissipation capabilities are a joke and the effectiveness is even worse than silicone. If you plan on attaching these sinks permanently, I would recommend some Arctic Silver thermal epoxy as it will adhere the sink firmly in place and also give decent thermal dissipation.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Would the memory heatsinks be vital if I were to overclock the graphics card a lot? I do have a PolarFlo TT block on there, so I plan to crank up the speed as much as I safely can. What would be the best way to remove the heatsinks without damaging the memory and how would I remove the thermal tape? Thanks.

RAM sinks on video boards always seem to get mixed reviews. They won't hurt, but they won't necessarily help either. You can add them if you like, it won't hurt anything.

How to get them off? It seems from your original post that this isn't a problem. Try gently twisting them and see if they come off with a little gentle work. From there, you should be able to use a razor blade to remove the main part of the thermal tape and a little isopropyl alcohol should finish the job.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

They should come off pretty easy...my buds just twisted off and didn't leave any residue on the RAM chips.

But I agree with the post above, get rid of the tape and get some thermal paste on there.

Thread Information