Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best good LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

Default Best LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU to an intel P4 extreme edition 3.2 OEM CPU. I also currently have an AGP Radeon 9800 pro card (bios flashed to an XT). I'd like to still use AGP - as I cannot afford to upgrade the graphics card, nor the memory to DDR2.

I'm not sure what is a good LGA 775 intel 865PE motherboard. Any sugesstions?

Thanks

P.S. I forgot to mention, I also have Corsair EEC memory. I know very few motherboards support EEC Reg memory, but if anyone knows a motherboard that will support all the above PLUS EEC Reg memory! Maybe I'm asking for too much now?! Thanks again
    Last edited by worldwide; 10-23-2004 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention memory!

Default Re: Best good LGA775 Intel 865PE motherboard?

I'm not that familiar with the INtel lineup anymore, but what will you be using the system for mainly?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Asus has the P5P800 and Abit has its AS8 plus DFI has its Lanparty 875P-T though this is based on the i875 chipset but whether you'll get support for your EEC memory I can't say.

Hello,

First, let me apologise for posting in the wrong forum... Sorry.

Thanks to wayout44 for the recommendations. I will check out these motherboards. I did find out that that the intel 875 chipset motherboards do support EEC Reg memory. However, as far as I can tell, there is no LGA 775 motherboard out there in the market with EEC support (i.e. none with the intel 875 chipset). So I guess that I'm going to have to invest in some new memory!

Darthtanion: I want to use the system for CAD, but also use it for gaming.

I really don't have any justification for going for the intel extremem edition, and I know there are other CPU and motherboard combo's that could do things for me sufficiently.

However, I am a big fan of overclocking, and the processor that I want is an Intel Extreme Edition 3.4Ghz engineering sample (Multiplier is unlocked between 12x and 17x). It will set me back around 500.00 and i'm going into serious debt for this. My current system is an intel 4 2.4Ghz running at 2.9Ghz. So is it all worth it?

Thanks for both your help!

If you've already got ECC RAM, which is expensive, a socket 940 system would actually be worth considering. The Opteron line has pretty fast processors (some of the faster ones being better gamers than the EE), and the Athlon 64 FX 51 for socket 940 should have an unlocked multiplier, if you can still find one for a good price. Personally, I'd just sell the ECC RAM and get a socket 939 system with one of the new, cheaper, 90nm Athlon 64s, though. If overclocking is really your thing, a Sempron 3100 is actually a great overclocker for very little money. It would still be a significant improvement over any P4@2.9GHz (a huge improvement if it isn't an 800MHz FSB processor). Any non-FX Athlon 64 with a Newcastle or Winchester core (that'll be most) should be expected to overclock fairly well, though. You won't get 600MHz on air cooling or anything like that, but you will get a much larger boost for what clock increase you do get than with pretty much any other processor.

That said, an engineering sample 3.4 EE for 500 isn't as bad a price as I would have imagined. Assuming you can be sure it truly is unlocked and you can get it working properly in a board, it could be a pretty good overclocker, with nice cooling. Not worth the money IMO, but not as bad a price as it could be. One of the main problems is that any LGA775 board that's any good will be priced too high to justify getting it. Socket 478, 754, and 939 are much better for overclocking simply because of cheaper motherboards.

You should also consider that even if you do get a board that supports ECC memory, it probably won't overclock well, even if it's high-quality stuff (Corsair, as you said). With a multiplier-unlocked processor, though, you can counter that by simply using mulitplier increases to overclock.

Don't waste your money on the EE, check out any performance tests!
    You wont see more than 20FPS on certain games...and on some, the regular P4s perform better!

Keep your 2.9, thats plenty for most games, get the video card instead, you'll see MUCH more improvement for the money invested.

P4s usually perform better in applications, but AMD holds the crown in the gaming department.

There are several boards that will meet your 775/865(AGP/DDR) requirement though. Gigabyte tested the best so far.

As far as your "EEC"...ECC right? Is concerned, this is only a parity bit and can be disabled or used on a MB that does not support them....but if they are indeed REGISTERED, you will have problems finding a board as this is mainly for macs and servers.

That chip would probably go for a higher price on Ebay...I'd get it and sell it!

Thread Information