Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need some serious help! note big picture

Default Need some serious help! note big picture

Ok hey every1 nice boards. First off thank god i found a sane forums all of you seem very kool (i've been parusing the boards earlier today)

I need to know how and if I can overclock my pc more!

Ok here's my problem. I have a pretty good machine, but it does not seem to get all the performance it should. Esp in programs such as 3dMark 03 or 3dMark 05. I relize that some of these programs are graphics card intensive but when i score this low in 3d Mark, i'm starting to wonder what I can do. I'll start by posting my computer specs to the finest degree. (I wont say sound, hard drives, or other perferials. Only the essitentials)

AMD Athlon XP 2700 (Running at 2.17 ghz) (barton box came with cpu heat sink)

1.5 gigs of Kingston PC3200 ram (3 dimms)

MSI K7N2 Delta-L 400 FSB (supports up to 3 gigs of ram in 3 dimms as well as dual channel)

BFG GeForce FX 5500 256 Meg VRAM (I have overclocked it from time to time without much success, it does the overclocking but no real im provements)

WIN XP Pro SP 2

Those are all the specs that should be needed.

Now moving on I want to know what I can do to boost it's performance. I have read somewhere that I can overclock AMD's easily. However every single time I do overclock anything, when i restart my monitor goes yellow (cpu hang)

I can get my PC to go at 2.19 ghz but after that it just CPU hangs. I have also tried overclocking my ram also no luck.

Please if there is anything that I can do please let me know. I hope someone can help me get more out of machine.

Note: I am buying the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the next week
    Note: Nothing was running when i did the 3d mark 05
    My 3d mark 05 score is attached. It's very very sad!
    Attached Images Attached Images Need some serious help! note big picture-crappyscoresmall-jpg 
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../clockwork.jpg

Default Re: Need some serious help! note big picture

You could read the XP tweaking guides at http://tweakguides.com

Ok this morning I decided to take a look at what and if any overclocking I could do... I got brave and decided to play russian roulette with my system. I started by changing my Award Bios to high performance defaults... then proceded by changing the Vcore from HxW to 1.65V

Then I went to advanced and changed the performance to manual and began changing the FSB up by 3 or 4 mhz. It didn't POST above 185, and it wouldn't go into windows anything above 180, and it randomly restarted at anything above 177. So it is at 177 now. From 166 to 177 doesn't seem to much of a gain but surprisingly it did help.

I also changed the AGP apuncture size from 128 to 512

Then i decided to see what kind of extra overclocking i could do to my graphics card. I use normal drivers (no forceware) and had to download a reg key to be able to over clock. I installed it... and then clicked detect optium frequencies. It started at 290mhz vcore and 400mhz memory...it changed it to 316mhz vcore and 470mhz memory.

I then ran 3Dmark 03 (i have been told several times that 3DMark 05 only gets 2000+ on godly systems and it wasn't fine tuned yet.)

And I got incredible speeds on tests that normally ran terrible. I usually got 5-10 max 15 fps on Proxycon I got an average of 22 FPS!!! The orge one also got way higher score with 21 average FPS. The Plane battle got a high of 96 FPS...(not much difference)

Here is my test pre fine tuning it:

Here is my last test with all the tuning:

I also followed the XP fine tuning article that you told me about. Thank you!
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

That 03 score looks about right. My 9800 Pro@405/385(770DDR) gets ~5700 in 03 on a much weaker system, and that FX5500 is much worse.

But what's you're new 3DMark 05 score?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That 03 score looks about right. My 9800 Pro@405/385(770DDR) gets ~5700 in 03 on a much weaker system, and that FX5500 is much worse.

But what's you're new 3DMark 05 score?
    odd thing is i got a worse 3d mark 05... ima redo it.. cuz that doesn't make sense lol!

Thread Information