Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One could call me a murder, I've killed so many computers. Here's my latest victim.

Default One could call me a murder, I've killed so many computers. Here's my latest victim.

I just built the best CPU water cooler in the world this week. I was like "My cooler will stike fear into the heart of boiling transistors everywhere!" So I clamped it up to my Brand New P4 3.8Ghz with 1Mb of cache ON DIE! I think it was on die, anyway. My goal? 4.5Ghz solid. Booted into CMOS, set the multiplier higher, bit by bit. 4.0Ghz, yes! 4.2Ghz, yes! 4.4Ghz, YES!!! I was like "My CPU will murder you with the sheer power of it's presence!" I set the multiplier to the next setting, and the puter says: Chumm chumm chumm! Shreeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

What the hell just happened!? I says. I have never heard a puter make that sound. It was ungodly. I try to boot up my computer. No good. I crack it open and set the jumpers to restore defaults. No good. I rip out the battery for 24 hours, no good. I pull the cpu and stick it into one of my other motherboards. No good. I think "Dammit, its dead!" But I was too stubborn to give up. I tried another CPU in the motherboard I was overclocking on and everything is good.

So it has to be the CPU. I pull out the 50 pound oscilliscope and start testing the pins, one by one. According to my calculations, all the transistors are still good and the cpu should be working.

So whats the deal? Is it possible for a CPU to get "stuck" at a certain operating frequency? I called Intel, but they said they can't help since i voided the warrenty by overclocking. Lol. Can anyone help?

Default Re: One could call me a murder, I've killed so many computers. Here's my latest victim.

Well once you hit a certain voltage you may fry some of the components inside the CPU. But motherboards usualy or should protect against reaching those levels. Why did you want to set it that high anyway, no one "NEEDS" 4.4GHz anyway. And just because the oscilliscope says it is ok doesent mean that it is. The CPU is a little more complicated than that.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Default Re: One could call me a murder, I've killed so many computers. Here's my latest victim.

Wesley, your post in this thread and your posts in others shows so many signs of a lack of intelligence, knowledge, wisdom in you that I simply can't even bother to correct the numerous mistakes in this one... Normally I'd help with this type of thing, but I can't for the life of me see a reason to, while there are quite a few reasons not too.

Buy a new processor and Chuck the old one is all I am going to say after reading all the other stupid things you have done. And for god sakes, Know what the hell you are doing and the limits as well.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by wesley
    One could call me a murder
    No, I'd call you an idiot.

"Sir, put your hands up in the air and back away from the computer slowly.
    Please consult a professional for some help."

While mistakes do happen, a quick look at your posts, and it's frickin' obvious you really don't know what the hell you're doing. Most people learn from their mistakes, but, for some reason, this ain't happening with you. I'm not trying to be mean, but there's some serious user error here.
    Either educate yourself properly on what to do and what not to do with computers, or leave this stuff in the hands of a more capable person than yourself, until a time comes where you don't have a curse on you.

Nice lie...P4's don't have a multplier adjustment.

Aside from startin threads, does he ever reply to them?
    All around me are familiar faces
    Worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for their daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Nice lie...P4's don't have a multplier adjustment.
    That is what I thut also locked multiplier, and if it over heats dont they start to clock them selfs down???
    Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
    P4 2.53 Northwood
    Kingston 512 pc3200
    Segate 40 gig
    MSI RX9800 pro
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP Deluxe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information