Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which way to go for OC'ing

Default Re: which way to go for OC'ing

Hi,

first msg was abrubt.....but it was late.

I have been trying to find the weak spot, and believe it is the CPU.
    HT multiplier set to 3
    mem set to max 100 (=50% of Base clock) at 2-2-2-5 2T
    CnQ off
    cant get base above 260 with 8 times multiplier
    actually, can't get cpu above 2080 in any combination of multiplier,whether i use 8x260 or 9 x 230.
    Also the MSI d.o.t. overclock in the bios fails at more then 5%.

It looks like I ruled out anything else beside the CPU (I also did increase the core to 1.45V without any big improvement (maybe 20Mhz cpu clock))

Any suggestions?

thanks

Ata

The PSU is not an area to skimp on if you're overclocking.
    Then he should get something much better then that Thermaltake. Especially for ocing.

Shows how little you know... You can talk about the amperage of "that Thermaltake" (see, Thermaltake makes more than one 480W PSU, and some are very different. But anyway, since you seem to think Thermaltake PSUs are so horrible wth overclocking in all that experience you've had with them, let's compare the Thermaltake line to the Antec, which is very good.

Here's Antec's cheapest 480W on Newegg (prices will be similar elsewhere anyway). Here's Thermaltake's. No compare them... The Antec is a little more efficient, and some of the amps are marginally better, though some are marginally worse. The Antec also has a few other nice features that TT doesn't. Great. Now that's for $30 more. Let's look at some other 480W Thermaltakes (did I meniton there are nine on Newegg alone, and probably even more if you go to Thermaltakes web site and look up models?).

There's this, though really it's not much better than the last model, and probably worse than that Antec. But then there's one with Active PFC for less money. Let's look at the 480W Butterfly and more accurate specs. For $4 more, it looks better spec-wise, and tihs one is actually somewhat famous for being an all-around great PSU, overclocking included. In fact, I think Darth even had a review of it. Then you can look at Antec's best 480W. Sure is great... You pay $36.50 more for a product of aobut the saem quality, though the dual +12Vs are nice, even if the amps are no better than the TT. Or, you could just pay $30 less and get a 560W Thermaltake that should be better. But yeah, I guess "that" Thermaltake must suck for overclocking, especially if it's almost as good as an Antec of greater cost. Who cares if most people who have actually used "it" (again, there must be just one...) says it's great for OCing.

I really like the self-contradictory statements like this (which was said elsewhere:
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew
    I see Yawg and many others reccomend Thermaltakes and I highly disagree that they are any good. I forgot what model it was exaclty but it had 18Amps on the 12V which is pretty pathetic and you really want as many amps as possible on the 12v rail. I ussually suggest at LEAST 24 amps on the 12v rail. Closer to 30 amps is even better.

Stick with Antec/OCZ/Enermax/Fortron/Sparkle
    Now if you go down the line of Antecs at Newegg (though you can go look at Antec's web site as well), you'll see how full of it you are. The cheapest Antec that meets your amp requirement for the 12V rail is this. Yeah, I guess you really need at least 24 amps on that +12V, because we all know how much Antec sucks at overclocking below the 550W models... Nevermind all the people who've actually overclocked using Antec and Thermaltake PSUs well below +12V@24amps (myself included) and would say otherwise. You must know more.

Thanks

it seems that you think that the PSU could be the prob, however I have an Enermax 485W supply with about 31A total on the 12V rails. Still think this is my problem, or is really my CPU not overclockable?

Ata.
    Last edited by atahualpa; 12-12-2004 at 09:14 PM.

The PSU is probably enough, though it's possible something bigger would be needed.
    However, looking at your post (I was too busy with my rant to be on-topic), I'd say your problem is obvious. You think you've increased the CPU vcore to 1.45. A 3200 Winchester uses a stock of 1.5V, so that's likely your problem.

Also, you can up the voltage on the RAM to get it to run higher, maybe 215MHz or so, so keep that in mind when choosing the divider.

Also, what kind of temps are you getting? That could be an issue... It won't OC if it's overheating.

Hi,

My CPU must have 1.4V see the AMD thermal design doc on page 13. Newcastles need 1.5, Winchesters 1.4V

The temps were around 40C idle even at the time the PC crashes.

I will remove all PCI cards, to see if there is a difference. Yesterday I removed the heatsink (to check) but i put too much silicone stuff on the cpu when I remounted, now the thing is running 10 degrees hotter (50C) so I won't test any OC until I have put the silicone on properly (so less!!!!).

Thanks

Ata.

Well most thermal compounds take a couple weeks to be 100% effective. I guess I was wrong on those cores... could have sworn it was 1.5 for winchesters, too. In any case, you could try going up to 1.5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information