Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which way to go for OC'ing

Default which way to go for OC'ing

Hello,

I need to replace almost my complete PC, just keeping some peripherals.
    Thought this would be a good time to look at OC'ing as well. Just don't know where to save money and where to spend. Any recommendations for a Mobo, CPU and memory??
    Which PSU's to avoid?
    Been through a lot of reviews and threads and decided that a MSI NEO2 Platinum + AMD 3200 (90nm core) would be a good choice.

Am I on the right track ?

Thanks

Default Re: which way to go for OC'ing

Quote Originally Posted by atahualpa
    Hello,

I need to replace almost my complete PC, just keeping some peripherals.
    Thought this would be a good time to look at OC'ing as well. Just don't know where to save money and where to spend. Any recommendations for a Mobo, CPU and memory??
    Which PSU's to avoid?
    Been through a lot of reviews and threads and decided that a MSI NEO2 Platinum + AMD 3200 (90nm core) would be a good choice.

Thanks
    Yah that MSI is a good selection but im sure every1 here will disagree with me. I personally have had 3 MSI boards and each one overclocked fine and ran great and stable!
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../clockwork.jpg

CPU and memory??
    Which PSU's to avoid?
    Been through a lot of reviews and threads and decided that a MSI NEO2 Platinum + AMD 3200 (90nm core) would be a good choice
    Yes, you're on the right track. The MSI K8N Neo2 is perfect, as is a 3200 Winchester. You'll also need Arctic Silver 5 and a good HSF. A Thermaltake K8 Silent Boost seems to be able to bring the 3200 to amazing speeds at low noise, price, and heat.
    There are lots of PSUs to avoid... I'd specifically recommend a 480W Thermaltake, but there are simply too many brands and PSUs to tell yuo what to avoid. The PSU is not an area to skimp on if you're overclocking.
    What are your current specs? You might be able to use your existing memory. If not, something like Corsair XMS PC3200 with 2-3-3 latencies would be good. Get at least 512MB, and get a GB (two 512MB sticks) if you can afford it. Something like Crucial Ballistix PC3200 would be even better, but stick with something cheaper if you can't afford it.

I could even provide specific links if you're in the U.S.

Thanks,

My current system is antique...a PIII 1Ghz, so nothing is useable except drives.
    It seems pretty hard to find all this stuff without visiting 3-4 places (driving about a 100 miles), so i might have to look for some alternatives.
    Corsair prices are skyhigh here, 350 euro for 1 G, and are seldomly fully spec'd.
    At best they mention CL2, 2.5 or 3 or this" "Timing 2-2-2-6-T1 at 166MHz"

Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

At.

Try for a different brand, then. OCZ, Geil, Crucial, Mushkin... There are tons of great brands out there, so don't restrict yourself to Corsair.

Thanks,

found a memory test, including all above brands on the net. Performance and oc are about the same for theses brands, but it showed that some cheaper brands did good as well. Another test showed was a memory against motherboard test (14 MB's and i think 18 memory types, full matrix test).

thanks

At.

It seems pretty hard to find all this stuff without visiting 3-4 places (driving about a 100 miles), so i might have to look for some alternatives.
    People still go to stores to buy hardware!?!?
    Seriously now, except for the occasional Fry's deal, you'd be much better off with newegg. Good luck anyways
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Quote Originally Posted by Joe89
    People still go to stores to buy hardware!?!?
    Seriously now, except for the occasional Fry's deal, you'd be much better off with newegg. Good luck anyways
    Seeing as atahualpa is talking euro's I know for a fact that newegg will not ship parts to him in Europe.

Yep,

Netherlands, Belgium, Germany is europe indeed. All within 30km (20mls)

Have my system now. K8N neo2, 1Gb Corsair 2-2-2-5 3200 RAM and a 3200 winchester. Overclocks like ****, must be doing something wrong........

Ata

We can't really tell you anything if all you say is "it overclocks like ****." I'd bet you are doing sometihng wrong, but I have no way of knowing what it is, though I have a few guesses, the first being that you aren't running a divider on the RAM speed and base-clock (erroneously A.K.A. FSB or HT).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information