Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help w/ P4 2.4a 256mb Geil w/ low qual mobo

Default Help w/ P4 2.4a 256mb Geil w/ low qual mobo

Hey guys...this seems like a long shot but can I overclock my system with these specs? How much OC can it handle with stock cooling? Thanks.

Pentium IV 2.4a
    Gigabyte 8VM533m-RZ (to be replaced later on)
    256mb Geil DDR 400
    Ati 9550 Extreme (to be purchased later on)

Default Re: Help w/ P4 2.4a 256mb Geil w/ low qual mobo

Well, that depends. I'm not all that familiar with the motherboard's capabilities and if it has a lock on the AGP/PCI busses, nor what voltage options are available. You could potentially hit over 3GHz, but I don't know if that possible with your current setup. Of course, you could also have a CPU that won't OC worth crap too, however, the P4's tend to scale pretty well.

Default Re: Help w/ P4 2.4a 256mb Geil w/ low qual mobo

Ok your mainboard should've come with EasyTune 4 on its software CD so it can overclock but the VIA P4M266A chipset doesn't allow for locking of the AGP/PCI buses so it will be limited.
    Another 256MB of memory will help out performance wise and that video card may also come with an overclocking utility but if not then look around http://downloads.guru3d.com/ for one to suit.

Thread Information