Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sempron 2800 limitations?

Default Sempron 2800 limitations?

Hi Folks.

I've just installed an MSI KT6V MoBo, Sempron 2800 and 512DDR in my comp. I've upped the FSB to 166 Mhz but it seems very temperamental and won't let me go any higher without freezing.

Also, if I take any of the other variable parameters such as Vcore or multiplier off "AUTO" (even at the very lowest settings) the machine locks up so I'm pretty much stuck with the 2800 running at a stock 2Ghz at the mo.

Does anyone have any ideas what's limiting the performance?

Default Re: Sempron 2800 limitations?

What is the speed rating of your memory and have you tried increasing the voltage to it?

I have 512mb of 400mhz 3200 DDR.

Regarding altering the memory voltage, as I said earlier if I attempt to make even the slightest adjustment to any of the variables the machine locks up.

Frustrating but i know there's a way around the problem somewhere.

OK findings so far.

The Sempron 2800 doesn't like having it's multiplier fiddled with - infact anything other than being left on auto ends in disaster.

I've upped the CPU voltage to 1.75 and that's allowed me to caress the FSB up to 178 without problems giving a respectable 2135mhz.

I can and will go further but my processor is running around 55 degrees under load at the moment so I'll take it easy for a while before pushing it any further. I have been hit by a couple of blue screens - that's why I backed off - but it turns out they were the result of a conflict between a Lan card I'd fitted myself and another which was integral to the MOBO but I didn't know existed. D'oh!

Any suggestions on how far I should allow the temp to go as it seems the only limit to how far I can push the processor is volts.
    Last edited by G-Wulf; 11-30-2004 at 06:11 AM.

The multiplier is completely locked on Semprons so you won't get any help there but if you're only using the stock HSF on that CPU then I wouldn't push the core voltage any further than what you already have though if you had a good aftermarket HSF then up to 1.8-1.85v would be fine.
    How could you miss the onboard LAN connection?

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    How could you miss the onboard LAN connection?
    Basically what happened The metal mounting plate for the vertical terminals had not had the port for the Lan connection stamped out, so it just wasn't visible - it was only when I went looking for it knowing that there was a conflict that I could see light glowing from behind the blanked out plate.

As for cooling I possess a monstrous coolermaster turbo fan and copper heatsink so cooling is well catered for.

Thread Information