Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invalid System Disk! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Invalid System Disk! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I locked atp @ 66 and pci @ 33. then i upped the processor to 1.55v. I changed the ram to DDR400. i then uppped the fsb speed from 200 to 250. processor: Intel 2.4C. MOBO: Chaintech 9zjs Hard drives: SATA 10,000rpm raptor, 7,200rpm ide. i cleared cmos multiple times. when i rebooted, after recognizing all drives correctly, it would display "invalid system disk. please replace and press any key".

plz give help ASAP.

Default Re: Invalid System Disk! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a floppy in the drive? IF so, take it out.

no..i do not have a floppy dive i changed drive a (floppy) to no drive...and still nothing.

Hm, make sure the HD's are properly configured.

Wait..did you clear CMOS right after you changed all those settings before trying to boot it?

If you're still running the machine with the overclocked settings and it fails, you have gone further than your hardware is capable of handling. Reset the CMOS.

If this is the problem (resetting CMOS isn't working), it is possible that the jumper isn't doing the job. In this case you will want to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and leave it out for about 15-20 minutes or so. This is overkill but it doesn't hurt the system and this amount of time allows any residual power within the BIOS to be drained so it will forget whatever settings you used for your overclocking adventure.

If you do this and still get the invalid system disk error, it is likely you scrapped some of the core Windows system files when you attempted to run the system at such a fast speed. The best method to fix this problem is to simply reformat the drive and install Windows again fresh. If you have important data on the drive and no means to retrieve it before reformatting, you can try to reinstall Windows over your existing copy. This doesn't always work but it does many times.

Your hard drive should not be damaged if the PCI bus was locked to 33MHz. It is more than likely a Windows problem or a problem where the CMOS is not wanting to kick back over to default values. As a general rule, you should always overclock in small steps. This way you will notice small problems as they appear and not just take a monster jump like this and frag the system.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Joe89
    I locked atp @ 66 and pci @ 33. then i upped the processor to 1.55v. I changed the ram to DDR400. i then uppped the fsb speed from 200 to 250. processor: Intel 2.4C. MOBO: Chaintech 9zjs Hard drives: SATA 10,000rpm raptor, 7,200rpm ide. i cleared cmos multiple times. when i rebooted, after recognizing all drives correctly, it would display "invalid system disk. please replace and press any key".
    What is the rating and timing of your memory?
    If PC3200 then at 250MHz FSB at 1:1 (DDR400) then your memory was most likely well out of spec range (set to DDR333 would have been a better alternative if you are running PC3200) and has likely corrupted the most important data on your HDD (if not more).

Okay guys, sorry for nto replying, but I fixed it. That guy is my friend, I was talking to him on the phone to tell him to post, took a lot of bargaining, and reminidng of giving him rides home from school multiple occasions, but he finally did it. I'm glad he didn't type half the stuff he was telling me he did on the phone :)

What I did to fix it was unplug the ide harddrive and boot up. Then, I shutdown, plugged it in again, and it works. Then I changed the jumpers so that my ide drive (media only) is master, and the optical is slave. Then I reset CMOS in another overclocking job gone bad and it gave me the error again! then I unplugged the media drive from ide and booted up, then shutdown, plugged back in, and it works. Kinda wierd, but no long term damage! Anyways, amd man2003 was helping me through this, blame him for the big steps, he insists it should work! Thank you for al the help guys.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Blame me my arse. I said most 2.4c work at that, didn't say yours definately would.

I am pretty sure its the memory since all we changed was voltage and no ratio. Its been running at DDR400 speeds every time. So I still think my proc is legit.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information