Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Prescott 530 3.0 Ghz tops out at 3.1 Ghz?

Default Prescott 530 3.0 Ghz tops out at 3.1 Ghz?

Config:

Prescott 530 3.0 Ghz
    Asus P5GDC
    PC-3200 DDR (512 Mb x 4)

I have the following setting

CPU Freq: 210
    DRAM: 420
    PCIe Freq: Auto
    PCI clock sync: 33 Mhz
    Spread spectrum: disabled

DDR setting:
    2.5-4-4-8

If I try to bump the CPU frequency any higher than 210, system will freeze. Is it because of my DDR setting? Or do I need to rasie vcore? Thanks for the help!

btw I have watercooling so temp increase not a concern

Default Re: Prescott 530 3.0 Ghz tops out at 3.1 Ghz?

Yes its likely your memory holding you back there though try increasing your memory voltage to 2.8v and raise the core to 1.45-1.5v (do not exceed 1.55v here or you can toast the CPU) and see what happens but you'll likely have to set the CPU/memory ratio to 5:4 (DDR333) to get things to go further.

changed mem to 3-3-3-10, and was able to raise cpu freq to 220. Anything higher than 220 freezes again. I checked mem voltage, and it only says for DDR2 and not DDR(what I have)? Do I need to raise vcore now, or is there something else before that? (I consider vcore a dangerous thing since I've read stories of fried cpu)

You'll likely have to up the vcore along the way, but you're already risking frying the processor by overclocking.

Anyway, you'll have to run a ratio as Wayout said. You're running PC3200 RAM and it's not high-quality stuff by the looks of it, so you probably shouldn't expect much more than 220, especially if you can't access voltage.

I've just checked out the manual for your mainboard and quite frankly I wouldn't even bother to try overclocking with it but if you must then I'd suggest getting some really good memory to go in it in the DDR PC3700-PC4000 range or good high speed DDR2 (there is a list of tested modules in the manual for overclocking with DDR2) as I can find no way that you can adjust the CPU/memory ratio.

Looks like your memory is the problem. You shouldn't need to bump the CPU voltage more than a few tenths, and thats at much higher speeds than you currently run.

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    I've just checked out the manual for your mainboard and quite frankly I wouldn't even bother to try overclocking with it
    No suprise there. There are only two or three LGA775 boards known for substantial overclockability, and the vast majority of them will get you somewhere between 0 and 10% overclock at best, with SATA drive complicating thing even more.

found the setting to loser cpu:ram ratio. Locked it and now it's a CPU freq 245, and it looks like it wants more. vcore and vmem still at auto (1.4 and 1.8 respectively). Should I press on and go over 1000 mhz FSB with 250 cpu, or stop now?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    No suprise there. There are only two or three LGA775 boards known for substantial overclockability, and the vast majority of them will get you somewhere between 0 and 10% overclock at best, with SATA drive complicating thing even more.
    This is one of those mainboards that isn't effected by Intel's 10% overclock lock plus the only systems that I know or heard about where a SATA drive will kill an overclock are Athlon 64's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatewaki
    found the setting to loser cpu:ram ratio. Locked it and now it's a CPU freq 245, and it looks like it wants more. vcore and vmem still at auto (1.4 and 1.8 respectively).
    Would that be the Ratio Status?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatewaki
    Should I press on and go over 1000 mhz FSB with 250 cpu, or stop now?
    That's entirely up to you.

Thread Information