Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How much is enough?

Default How much is enough?

Hi all,

I'm quite new to overclocking, I hope I can get some help here :). I overclocked my Intel P4 2.0Ghz to 2674Mhz. I overclock using BIOS, I set the fsb from 100 up to 133Mhz n the DRAM matches at 266Mhz (1:1). The temp shows about the same before and after, around 45-50 when quite idle and 50-60 during game. I've downloaded SiSoftware Sandra, my mainboard info shows

System
    Manufacturer : MSI
    Model : MS-6547
    Version : 2.00

Chipset 1
    Model : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS645 CPU to PCI Bridge
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 134MHz (536MHz data rate)
    Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 4x 133MHz / 2x 166MHz
    Width : 64-bit
    IO Queue Depth : 8 request(s)
    Priority Master Queue Depth : 7 request(s)

Memory Module(s)
    Memory Module 1 : Kingston KVR266X64C25256 022C37F2 256MB 8x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC2100U-2533-750 (CL2.5 up to 133MHz) (CL2 up to 100MHz)

So it says max fsb is 133Mhz and I've also set at it. I wonder if can I go more than that? Will my PC2100 DDR-SDRAM cope with it? And do you recommend me to change any settings?

Thanks.

Default Re: How much is enough?

You can always try going higher, just go in small steps to see how far your system will let you go. The memory will probably make it a good deal higher (most PC2100 modules can overclock), but that isn't a guarantee. All memory is not created equally, so you just have to try it and see first hand.

The best piece of advice is to know where the jumper is for resetting the CMOS values. When you reach the point where your system craters, this jumper will let you reset the system board back to factory defaults. If this doesn't reset the values in BIOS, you can remove the battery for about 15-20 minutes (I usually have a cup of coffee in this time span) and that should do the trick for you. From there you just go to a point a little under where it quit the last time and begin OS tweaking.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Darthtanion,

Thanks for your reply. Should I keep the ratio at 1:1? at what temp you think I should keep the overclocked presets?

TQ

I always shoot for under 45C but those old Intel processors were able to run a little hotter than others. I wouldn't let it get any warmer without addressing the issue, though.

As for the ratio, leave it at 1:1 since you're already running at the speeds the memory is designed to handle. Just see how far it will go and make a plan accordingly. I'm really kinda surprised that 2.0GHz is doing so well. I didn't think that was one of the good overclocking processors, but it has been a long while since I got into Intel processors so I could just be remembering wrong.
    My Toys

Hi Darth

Here's my mobo specs:

CPU

• Supports Socket 478 Intel® Pentium® 4 processors
    • Supports up to 2.6GHz

Chipset

• SIS® 645 Open Architecture DDR333 Chipset
    - Supports DIMMs of DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 SDRAM up to 3GB maxi-mum memory.
    - Supports 400MHz system bus with 2X address and 4X data rate.
    - Supports AGP 4X/2X interface with fast write transaction

• SIS® 961B MuTIOL® Media I/O Chipset
    - Bi-directional 16-bit data bus with 533MB bandwidth.
    - 2-channel Ultra ATA 133/100/66/33 Bus Master IDE controller
    - Dual USB controllers (expanded capabilities for 6 ports).
    - Supports AC'97 V2.2 audio codec and modem codec.
    - ACPI 1.0b and APM 1.2 compliant.
    - LPC 1.0 interface.
    - PCI 2.2 interface.

FSB

• Supports 400MHz FSB

Main Memory

• Supports six memory banks using three184-pin DDR DIMM.
    • Supports up to 3GB DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 SDRAM.
    • Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM.
    • NO support ECC Function

It says cpu upto 2.6Ghz

But my cpu reads 2.77Ghz now!! Well, it's amazing too that my cpu can go that far. I've gone above my mobo limits. Should I stop now? or it's still OK till I find a problem? My RAM now is 276Mhz than the ori 266Mhz.

And when will I know that I've reached the limit? besides looking for errors[some hard to discover]?

Anyway, I'll go a lil bit more then I'll leave the settings for somewhile for testing. BTW, my cpu temp hasn't been going up.. hmm..

Tell me what u think Darthtanion.

-RRR-

Darth, I've found the limit that is 138Mhz/DRAM:276Mhz(1:1). Above that I'm having problems already. This value seems fine for me but I'll further test it.

BTW, should I increase the vcore or vdimm volts so that I can overclock more? Which one to increase then?

And one quick question, is it correct that the cpu temp goes up only when the volts are set higher?

TQ

There are a lot of tricks of the trade when it comes to overclocking so it will take a lot of trial and error to figure out where your best performance numbers lie.

VCore - This raises the voltage to the processor itself. It is helpful to raise this at times but you will get an immediate rise in temperatures. Given the temps you're already getting, I probably wouldn't mess around with this setting until you get better cooling in place. You;re not in any danger of damage right now, but too much higher and you may be.

VDIMM - This is the voltage to the memory modules. Some modules won't take much here and you should be forewarned that setting this too high can damage or destroy your memory. Kingston generally uses decent chips and you should be able to run at least 2.7v with no problems (default is 2.5). NOTE - This isn't a guarantee that your memory won't be damaged at 2.7 volts, only that Kingston modules can generally run at this voltage level with no problems. As always, you always risk damage when you overclock.

Other than that, you're on the right path to overclocking. Trial and error are always the best way to get the best performance possible.
    My Toys

Thread Information