Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under Clock Problems

Default Under Clock Problems

My CPU had some heat problem so I decided to under clock it, since I am not a gamer and speed is not really important to me.

My CPU temperature is about 46-52C when under load, and 56-60C when full load. Motherboard is about 27-29C underloard, and 30-32 full loard. Under the room temperature of 20-24C.

I download the Clockgen from internet.
    I ran that program, I clicked on "set values" then it told me my current clocks.

CPU-2500.17
    FSB-100.01
    Memory-125.01
    AGP-166.68
    PCI-83.34

How much should I underclock?
    And is this program safe to use?
    And can I change back to my original clock if I am not satisfied?

Default Re: Under Clock Problems

I would suggest instead to use the BIOS on the system rather than relying on a program. 2ndly ill need a little more info about your system to really help but here's what I suggest:

To overclock or underclock a processor takes a lot of precision and a lot of knowing what your doing. Firstly. Are you aware of what to do if your CPU hangs? (screen goes black) You must make sure to clear your CMOS if it does happen. Do that by first getting your motherboard manual and finding where the CMOS jumper is. It is a black piece of plastic usually, take it off and count 1000, 1001 until your reach 2,000. Then put it back on.

If you already knew this, then sry my bad .

NOTE: if your pc didn't come with a motherboard manual I suggest not to move on because you may damage your PC beyond repair.(since your underclocking not much damage is plausible)

Merely go into bios by pressing del (or if it says another key) and a blue screen will come up. When it first comes up over to your right there may be a selection for something like (fail safe settings, or manufactor defaults or the like) that setting should be underclocked, or at least not as high as your current setting is.

If there isn't anything like that, then try to go into where the FSB selection is. Without knowing what your motherboard or anything else is this will be hard to say. But select the manual for settings and then proceed to underclock the FSB. (remember I need to know more to have any idea what this will look like.)

Then press F10 to quit and save. If your screen goes black, you'll have to clear the CMOS (see above I explained it) if it doesn't go black, try to go into windows and see how stable it is.

I hope this helps. Please post your specs so I can provide more in depth directions!
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../clockwork.jpg

I checked my user's manual. It says my motherboard has something called:
    CrushFree BIOS 2 "CrushFree BIOS 2 allows users to restore BIOS data from a floppy diskette or recovery CD when BIOS code and data are corrupted during upgrade or when invaded by a virus. ASUS motherboards not enable users to enjoy this portection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM".
    And it also has something called CPU Parameter Recall "When the system hangs due to overclocking failure, there is no need to open the case to clear the CMOS data. Simply restart the system and the bios will automatically restore the CPU default setting for each parameter".

But I am not so sure about how to underclock in my bios. Can someone please explain it to me in detail?

I just went into my bios and I saw my CPU Frequency Multiple and CPU External Frequency is grey. According to my user's manual, I changed the CPU speed from 2500MHz to Manual, then the CPU External Frequency turned black, not grey anymore (the CPU Frequency Multiple is still grey). Then there are many choices, from 100/33 (my current setting) to 166/33. But they all seem to be overclock, not underclock. Please help me!

Just go to your Frequency / voltage control and select Fsb, lower it how ever you like. Go change your agp/pci speeds to async , 66/33 setting. you should be good to go.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

so maybe I should just use Clockgen? the software sound simple to use

Well, I've only had loads of trouble with overclocking their software, and usually those programs only apply the under/over clocking once windows is up, which leaves plenty of time for the system to get hot beforehand. Just be aware, back up your files.
    "Alex : As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred." Clockwork Orange

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../clockwork.jpg

If you can find a bois update, it may allow you to access more options such as multiplier, you can lower it to whatever you like.

Still would be nice to see CPU and motherboard model numbers.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

I think my cpu;s mulitiple is locked, it has been locked in the manafacture.

As is my A64 but I can still underclock using multiplier, its accualy set to 5 x 200 right now, without the bois update I did I couldent underclock very well either.

Again I could help you if you gave me a motherboard model number...
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information