Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: overclocking msi k7n2 mobo with barton 2800+

Default overclocking msi k7n2 mobo with barton 2800+

Although i have been passionate about pc for quite a time now....but i have never given any serious thought towards overclocking...........the reason being that custom heat sinks and fans are almost impossible to find in the country that i live in......................... What i want to ask is by using my pc which is described below and using retail heatsink and fan .........can i overclock my pc................are there going to be any side effects.....

Can somebody please tell me the step by step process of overclocking my pc......As I am totally ignorant in this field........

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K7N2 DELTA
    PROCESSOR: AMD BARTON 2800+
    Ram: KINGSTON pc 3200 512 mb ram
    GRAPHICS CARD: MSI GEFORCE 5200 WITH 128 MB

P.S: this may seem to be a completely stupid question to some.....but can somebody tell me that if there are no effects of overclocking on cpu then why don't the companies do it theirselves......please forgive my ignorance

Default Re: overclocking msi k7n2 mobo with barton 2800+

The reasons that the companies don't do it is because it does shorten the lifespan of the CPU, I wont get into the specific details as it is xmas eve and I am very tired but, go into bios and find the place that has FSB adjustments, and up them in small amounts, and watch your temps while your at it. I wouldent let it go above 40 degrees C at idle.
    if you look through the threads you will find many guides and answers to what you are looking for. As many people ask about overclocking.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

I have the same motherboard and cpu, and Ive gotten it up to 2.3GHz no problem.

I do have an aftermarket heatsink tho, so I dont know how much of a difference that will make.

Go into bios, and jack up the FSB to like, 180, and change the memory ratio so the memory isnt trying to run at 430MHz or so. I have mine running at 368MHz, but benchmarks show an increase in memory performance anyway

When it comes to cpu lifespan, these things are made to last like 20 years running at stock, and overclocking may take a few years off, but are you planning on keeping it around for that long?
    Direct Connect Trading Community
    www.mookiehub.com

also, keep in mind that because of the way they made that particular mobo, the temp probe for the cpu reads from the wrong place, so your cpu temps are going to read 10-15C higher than what they should be.
    Direct Connect Trading Community
    www.mookiehub.com

Get a better HSF and then up both the core and memory voltages by 0.1v, lock the AGP bus at 66-68MHz and then as stated before start raising the FSB by 5MHz at a time until you find the highest stable speed but a better performance increase can be had by simply upgrading that low end video card for something like a R9800P.

Thread Information