Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barton XP3200 overclocking

Default Re: Barton XP3200 overclocking

Well, the zalmon resanotor shows us watercooling isn't just for insane OCers but also people who just want a quiet environment. I heard that kit isn't really that good, but I think it'd be a good idea to keep that loudness is a factor for him. Sure, he wants good speeds, but I think he also wants a quiet environment too.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Hi Darth & Yaw,
    I have manged to get a very good price on this setup and I have decided to go for it..........for several reasons...........
    1) It is very quiet.
    2) It fits with my shark case perfectly
    3) Despite your views on shortcommings.........it does offer a significant upgrade for me.....I am not a serious overclocker..........however.....in future I could perhaps upgrade the pump.........+ despite all this it does offer very good cooling.......
    4) When I upgrade to AMD64 .......... it will cope easily..........

However, can I despite all the above can I ask the following.............
    the Barton XP3200 ......... is the multiplier locked.............the std multiplier is 11
    when I used the NF7 S bios multiplier of 12 ......... it still only worked @ 11.
    I assume from this it is locked...........can the L1 bridge be modified ala the Throughbreds..........to give access to the other multipliers????

Are there issues with dual channel opperation and overclocking the FSB..............
    I have tried 210FSB but this bugged out in Doom3............it seemed to occur when the sound got complex...........is there an issue with Audigy sound cards and overclocking......????

Kind Regards
    Richard @ Bolton uk

All socket A CPUs from early 2003 and on are locked and cannot be unlocked by connecting or cutting any bridges.

The FSB problem is a board limitation that requires a mod to fix. Try searching around some, because I'm not sure about the specifcs when using a 200MHz FSB processor.

Hi Yawgm0th & Joe89
    Sure quietness is really important to me......those 80mm fans really do my head in....as for the processor I have done some experiments.....the processor appers totally locked ........... is there a solution for unlocking this late Barton.......a while back I saw a little plastic pin reconfigurator that went between the processor and socket.......can anybody help..

Last time I had checked, the only solution was involved turning them into unlocked Athlon MPs that don't even work on most single-CPU Socket A boards.

umm cooling is a very large part of over clocking. your CPU has a max set temp. if the temp increases 10 F then your CPUs life span cn go down by as much as 50%. 50%, thats alot. about 5 F is fine, but their are many many air cooling systems that can keep it low for much cheaper then a water cooled case. and yeah i have a athalon MP 2800+ and i got it succesfully from 2.08 to 2.44 with good power and a good cooling system.

Priced is usually not the main consideration when looking at water cooling. Yes you can get cheaper air coolers that do well for a lot less, but when it comes to water most consider better processor (and system) temperatures, better overclockability, and noise reduction. I've never advocated water for those on a tight budget but I use it on two of my systems at home and have no plans an ever going back to air.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information