Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Killed a dvd-player in flash attempt

Default Killed a dvd-player in flash attempt

Hello,

Well i think i toasted my dvd player.

The story;
    I got a 8008xl (old pc) and was wondering why the fsb real clock was set to 100mhz QDR. During my search on the net i came across a webpage adressing several components of the 8008xl. One of the articles was about flashing the dvd-player (can you feel the build up of the story?).

http://md8008.250free.com/aldisued/dvdlw.htm

I double checked everything to be sure i didnt do anything stupid () and performed the flash as instructed. Just before the flashing bar was completed i got the bluescreen telling me i had a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and refered to a file called win32k.sys. I hadnt seen that screen since my 386 days.

On reboot the sony drive was gone in the bios (other drive, pioneer was still there). In XP logicly the sony had dissappeared and my pioneer drive was disabled and i couldnt enable it because of some kind of conflict. Using mktwinflash i tried to do a ide flash of the dissappeared drive but now i already got the bluescreen (with identical messege) halfway the flash.

Counting my losses i worked hard to get my other dvd burner back to work, in which i succeded.

So full of hope i remounted the sony drive (the one that died) but now the system didnt even boot into the bios. It freezes on the P4 logo. I pulled out the pioneer dvd burner and mounted the sony on its place (adapted the jumper to master) but again the computer freezes during start up on the p4 logo.

I tried a start up without the ide cable but with the power cable plugged in. The system starts up but the light of the drive doesnt go on.

Does anybody have an idea how i can resurrect my drive?

Default Re: Killed a dvd-player in flash attempt

sounds to me like you've killed it sorry to say
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Well i got the same impression.

I have an old system (p1) and installed the faulty player into it. I got mtkflash 1.83c. powered the pc on without connecting the powerplug to the drive. Then after boot up of the system floppy connected the drive. Then;

a:\>mtkflash 2 W /B /M sony.bin

but i only get port 1f0, master/slave:b0 and it freezes.

well it kind of gives the name "dvd burner" a nasty twist

just for my info (as the page you linked was in German) what did you hope to achieve by flashing the dvd player ?
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

dont rub it in please it's already painfull enough

enhance the speed from 40x to 48x

cry

ok not putting you down at all was just curious as to the perceived desired end result

all in good fun m8. all in good fun.

**** i got it back

Boot up with the power connecter not connected to the player. After bootup from flop i connected the power plug (the HD went basurk). Then the mtkflash 2 /w /m /b *.bin

and it was back

I can only conclude that flashing is done from dos. PERIOD.

Thread Information