Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Whats a good start to overclocking my new rig?

Default Whats a good start to overclocking my new rig?

I have these components.

ASUS P5GD1 mainbaord
    P4 3.0ghz LGA775 CPU
    1 GB Kingston hyper X Pc 4000 CL3 system ram (KHX4000/512R X2)
    FSP 500watt ATX12v v2.0 PSU
    ATI x700 pro Video card

I usually don't overclock but I think I might give it a try, this bios is not as user freindly overclocking as my last MSI board is. These are the Bios settings where I can O.C. this Asus mainboard, but I'm not sure where to start. I need some pointers here.

AI OVERCLOCK- manual,standard, overclock profile, and AI N.O.S.
    N.O.S. MODE- auto, standard, sensitive, heavy load.
    PERFORMANCE MODE- auto, standard, turbo.
    MEMORY VOLTAGE- 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, auto.
    CHIPSET CORE VOLTAGE- 1.5, 1.6, auto.
    CPU VCORE VOLTAGE- 1.7000v thru 1.5250v. 15 settings total.
    FSB TERMINATION VOLTAGE- 1.20v, 1.40v, auto.

Default Re: Whats a good start to overclocking my new rig?

I like the AI oc feature on the Asus boards, you can use that to get up there then when you find your upper limit go back to manual and tweak around in small increments, I can't get over 4gig on my board but have been right up to it before backing off. I then returned to the 20% oc feature in AI oc as it was just plain easier. lol I can be lazy. At 3.84 my system is fully stable, cpu temps only rose 3-4 degrees some of which I have negated with an Acbel psu with 120mm fan, lower temps overall by 2 degrees with the increased airflow. I have tried the turbo setting, but do seem to remember going back to auto (without rebooting and bios peek I can't be sure) and your newer generation board seems to have a couple of features mine doesn't so follow the rule with ocing, small increments then run for a day or two to test stability. As always watch for excessive heat generation that may be detrimental to your cpu.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

I enabled the turbo setting and went up 15% for the overclock and everything seems O.K so far (2 days later), no game crashs or atifacts. I couldn't really say if it did anything for performance since I haven't had time to test. What percentage would you overclock it before you start to raise voltage settings on an Asus board? All this stuff was automatic with the option of manual adjustments on the MSI board but with this board having a different CPU and ram I don't think I should use those settings here.

I was ruthless when I first used the AI oc, went straight to 30%, but as that was over 4gig (4.16 if I remember) I had "System Failure due to overclocking" I sh*t myself but a simple reboot bought me back to bios where I dropped back to the 20%. I have no real idea about when to start raising voltages as I'm not familiar with your board and would have to do some research on the limits that it has. As I said earlier I can be lazy so I didn't bother tweaking around manually as 3.84 suited me fine.

A point to remember here, all warranties are voided if you have failure due to ocing
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

i have the aa8 3rd uguru bla bla, and it allows me to over clock mentally, i have the LGA775 3.4ghz and i can get it to 3.9ghz with no prbs and 4.0ghz with a few sketchy bits, so its just a case of trying it. and seeing what you can do. put the voltage of the ram and northbridge up at the same time, then put the Ext Clock up around 20hmz and u will notice a nice differnce, but remember ive advising you, dont do it and blame me if anything goes wrong.
    :)
    Last edited by Shurok; 01-26-2005 at 08:59 AM.
    Prescott 3.4ghz @ 4.0ghz
    512mb corsair ddr2 pc5400pro
    Abit AA8 3rd eye DuraMAX uGuru mobo
    1 x 120gb sata hd
    1 x 120gb ide hd
    WinFast 6600GT
    XP home / SP2

Thread Information