Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sorry, another NUB here. Help With OC?

Question Sorry, another NUB here. Help With OC?

I have an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, AMD 3500+, Newcastle core, Kingston 2x512 PC3200 CAS 3, thermaltake 480 W power. I am a little confused. Isn't the memory supposed to work on a 400 MHz bus? The board tells me I am running a 200 MHz FSB, so is there a multiplier on the CPU that ups it? Or how can I set the memory to run faster and still go with the CPU? Also, what other settings for the memory could I change to up performance? I put the voltage up to 2.6 and the CAS to 2.5, anything else? And just on a curious note, I haven' seen much talk about people overclocking the newcastle core CPU's. I don't know much as far as multipliers and how to use my board that supposedly has great OC capabilities. Any ideas?

Default Re: Sorry, another NUB here. Help With OC?

Memory frequency is 200x2 (because of DDR) effectively 400mhz. Multipliers are useful but not for cpu overclocking (unless of course you started with a high multi or FX cpu), theyre locked on "normal" A64s. But you can lower yours to 9 and use higher HTT if you want to 100% max out the cpu (but dont try to run memory that high lol, use the 166 or 133 divider in bios).

Try these memory timings: 2.5-3-10-3 (in bios order). Also try the 1.36b or 1.5X bios, flash with the MSI utility (its in your Liveupdate directory, so you need to install it first, from the MSI website).

Newcastles dont overclock as well as winchesters, which is why you havent heard about them. But you should be able to do 2.4-2.5 without too much trouble on air, assuming you bump up voltage a little. But its far easier with winchesters, not to mention their lower starting voltage.

I can tell you from using this board, that its capable of high HTT. What videocard do you have in there? If its a 6800 or something it may limit your overclock because of power issues (my system tops out at 2.6ghz and suffers from lack of power beyond that point).

Well, I have the ATI AIW 9800 pro, I'll try those memory settings and see what happens. As far as the CPU overclocking, I'm clueless as to what voltages and and things like that. So what exactly changes when you run the CPU up to the 2.4-2.5 settings?

Dont go above 1.65v unless the temperature stays below 55C and your cooling is good

Thread Information