Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: overclock or upgrade

Default Re: overclock or upgrade

Didn't say he made a poor choice, or did I? Anyway, I also meant to say pixel shader 3.0. Sleep doesn't come around too often here anymore. The point is, you can get a relatively cheap card and still play most high end games on it, especially at high settings. I will also be able to run the same software in a year or so just not as high a setting. I don't mind sacrificing some graphics. If the game entirely depends on graphics...don't get it. Doom 3. Pretty graphics, not so great game play. I think most Doom fans (or any other game that has had sequals of the like) agrees that most of the older ones are better. So, in turn you save about $200 - $300 on your video card and still enjoy your favorite games. If you're a graphics nut and want to suck your pecan sandies dry...go for it. In the meant time I will just freely express my opinions to anybody who posts a topic that I find interesting. And agreeing with everybody so far, the 7800GTX is a fantastic card. To me, there's just no need. And if you actually read my post instead of trying to be smart and quoting it for no reason, here's the last sentence of it:

Quote Originally Posted by eat@joes
    So "if" I had $1100 to spend, I would certainly get what Dunpeal has.
    Thank you in advance for paying attention next time.

Thank you Darthtanion, for the Praise. I have changed my purchase since then as I have been doing extensive research on the subject.... Forums and websites...I have received my BFG 7800 (got it Friday). I have ordered a DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939, AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939, and a Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply(I should get them tomorrow). I went with the DFI for overclocking ability, the 3700 for the same reason (90nm). I have read that it can be overclocked to 2.8 rather easily... That is like a 4.2 Pentium (Thatís what I am talking about)... As far as spending all the money I can't spend good money after bad and buying something out of date is doing just that. With the ability of SLI, I do not think there will be any software the will test the two 7800s. I will have to upgrade my cpu eventually, my ram ASAP and get some water cooling. I went on a diet of ramen noodles to afford this much, but I can do it for a while longer and get the memory next month... Any suggestions for water cooling? Is it better to just buy a kit for my current case or to buy a water cooled case...? The cases with integrated water cooling seem way expensive. Are they more proficient than the kits or is it just a matter of appearance?
    Thanks for all the help.
    Dunpeal
    By the way I did some test on my current setup so when i get the new I can compare... I will post them here. I think there might be a little difference especially on the 3Dmark05

Good choice on the DFI board. It is looking to be the best in the industry at this time. Another good feature it has is the ability to raise the memory voltage to outrageous levels, so when you pick up your memory, make sure to get something that can take advantage of this feature. Two that come readily to mind are the OCZ VX series modules and the Mushkin Redline series. Both of these brands are using Winbond UTT chips on the modules that love the higher voltages. Just pick up soe sort of little fan to give them active cooling if you take their voltage above 3v or so.

As to water cooling, I've done well with the Swiftech kits. I'm going to be receiving their new dual 120 kit soon for testing and review and it looks very impressive. There other kits all do very well and I run a dual 80mm radiator setup on an Athlon XP Mobile processor and a 120mm radiator kit on an Athlon64 FX53 processor. Both work very well and are a good deal quieter than good air coolers. Corsair also has a new kit out that is very close to the Swiftech and from what I've heard performs on par with it. Otherwise, you can go to www.dangerden.com and custom build a kit designed for your needs. It will be a little more expensive, but not terribly so. Stay away from the all-in-one water coolers as they perform poorly for anything but a casual user looking for peace and quiet.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thank you for the advice Darthtanion. I was looking at the Mushkin Redlines....I am pretty sure that is the direction I will go in, but that is acouple months away and more research to do. I like the idea of getting a custom water kit, but will not have the money for about a month now( unless I pull out the credit which I do not want to do). When I get there I wil surely ask for some hel on decided what are the best products. I figure about $400.00 on the water cooling kit from dangerden if I go all out.

you are going to have fun with this. How to overclock Athlon 64 3000+ (venice) .
    I haven't tried yet but I will very soon. I am new to overclocking but serious about this

I'm planning to overclock my rack... but temps still from 52 to 65 celsius? can somebody help me with my temps?
    BULLET

Chasis : Thermaltake Kandalf
    Motherboard : Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    Processor : Pentium 4 - 3.2E /w artic silver 5 =0
    CPU fan : Thermaltake Sonic Tower /w Akasa 120mm UV fan 1800rpm
    Memory : Geil One 1gb
    GPU : Palit 6600LE 256mb 128bit AGP
    Hardisk : 2pcs 80gb Seagate SATA
    Optical Devices : Sony DVD writer & Sony DVD ROM
    PSU : OCZ Modstream 520w

by the way... my cables are organized for better airflow.
    BULLET

Water cooling is always an option of you have the funds for it.
    My Toys

Smile Re: overclock or upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Water cooling is always an option of you have the funds for it.
    Yah water cooling is nice... but i prefer Heatsinks and Exhaust.

Thanks anyways in your response to my query.
    BULLET

Just out of curiosity, why?

If cost is the primary factor, then there isn't any way to overcome that. If, however, it is just the principals, keep in mind that water cooling is not only more effective in cooling the attached components, it is also a good deal more quiet. Also, the lower heat production inside the case means you can use fewer fans (again, this will make things quieter) to keep the other heat producing components cool.
    My Toys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information