Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OC failures

Default OC failures

Hey; I was just wondering what others have fried while trying to overclock their components.

In the past, I've fried an AMD Athlon 1900+ while trying to unlock the multiplier - I think I did it correctly, but ended up frying it due to insufficient cooling >_<.

I also burned a pin out on a 128mb DDR ram chip after inserting it backwards in the slot, haha -- it shouldn't be able to go in the wrong way, but well, I guess with enough force :P. Anyways, it turned out that the pin that fried didn't lead anywhere so I guess it was a null pin -- the chip worked after I turned it around, hehe.

So what mobo's, video cards, processors, or ram chips have you destroyed while trying to overclock your system?

-Zertam

Default Re: OC failures

Burned up an old T-Bird processor once when the heatsink wasn't properly seated and managed to kill a 9800 Pro video board... think I just changed stuff up so often it crapped out on me. Not bad considering the amount of stuff I've messed around with.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: OC failures

I did lose my 9800 Pro, though I'm not entirely convinced it was from overclocking. I hadn't overclocked it in a while and it just up and died. It was about 12-18 months into its life, but I just RMAd it back to Newegg for a replacement. It just cost a few bucks for shipping and some time since I had to get a 9800 Pro stock HSF mailed to me from a forum friend. A small price to pay for the increase in performance IMO.

Other than that possible casualty, I've destroyed nothing. So far, I've overclocked:
    Three video cards
    Four sticks of RAM
    Five different motherboards
    Five different processors

Thread Information