Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: eMachine AMD 64 3400+ to a 3700+ would it work??

Default eMachine AMD 64 3400+ to a 3700+ would it work??

Since most of the BIOS options are locked out in eMachines, would I be able to install a 3700+ in place of a 3400+ and have the computer recognize the new processor, speed, etc. without changing any settings in the BIOS? Is it possible to do this? As an aside, what kind of performance difference do you imagine I would see from the processor change?

Default Re: eMachine AMD 64 3400+ to a 3700+ would it work??

It iscertainly possible if it's a socket 754 machine. If it's socket 939, then it might not work as the socket 939 3700 uses a newer core.

As for performance, don't expect much. It's not much of an upgrade, and I'd say it's probably not worth the bother.

Yeah, they are both 754. I just figured I would ask. I don't know if it would be worth it. Looks like it might be a better investment to wait and see how the price of 939 boards and processors go and do them both. Do you think the x800xl I have will still be viable in a year--I mean is 16x PCI-e going away, in your opinion?

The card itself will be a mid-range card in a year, and still quite useful. I'd place it where the 9800 Pro is now.

PCI-E will last far, far longer than the card. It will last longer than the socket type of any existing motherboards, and probably outlive the next generation of them, too. It will outlive DDR and DDR2, the ATX specification, and motherboard BIOSs themselves, if Intel decides to go with the idea of replcaing the standard. PCI-E is the one thing that you do not have to worry about becoming obsolete anytime in the near future.

Thread Information