Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking!!! (HELP)

Exclamation Overclocking!!! (HELP)

Hi there. I have an Athlon XP(64Bit) 3000+ MHz, PSU 400Watt,my video card is FX5200 128MB and my motherboard is the Abit NF8/NF8-V. Because I don't know many things how to overclock my pc, I would like to inform how to do exact all the steps in my bios.

P.s. : Is it necessary to update my bios? (Could u inform me about the steps?)

My best regards!

Default Re: Overclocking!!! (HELP)

There's no such thing as a 64-bit Athlon XP. They're called Athlon 64s. It's also not 3000+ MHz. The 3000 part refers to the model number. The actual clock speed ifor your socket 754 Athlon 64 is 2GHz.

Before you even think about overclocking, tell us what brand that 400W PSU is. Unless it's a high-quality brand, it simply won't do for that system.

Also, what kind of stuff do you do with the computer that you need the speed for? If it's gaming, don't waste your time overclocking the CPU, because the video card is so rediculously slow that the CPU won't make a difference. You could run it at 1GHz and still be limited by the video card in most, or even all games.

Well my 400watt PSU is not a high-quality brand. As I remember it costed me about 30$ or less. .
    I am talking about overclocking because i want to increase ta speed of my PC. When I am talking about speed I mean the TIME that takes to open programms, open,close windows etc. So i thought that overclocking would help.
    Do u think that if I add somee more Ram would I have all that I want. (I have a Kingstone 512MB/400Mhz of Ram )

1) Finally what do u advise me? To go or not to go in overclocking.
    2) Is it necessary to update my bios? (If you think so could you tell me tha steps exact?) My motherboard is the Abit NF8/NF8-V.
    Thanks!!!

Well programs opening up quick depends you tweaking your windows xp.

Unless you're multi-tasking, encoding, or editing video the ram you have should be fine. And unless you're multi-tasking, encoding, or editing video overclocking your processor won't help any. You biggest performance factor for what you have now would be upgrading to a new video card and another 512 DDR400 running dual channel. If you're simply overclocking for benchmarking numbers etc... then all you do is increase the FSB in the bios, in small increments. But I don't think anybody here is going to recommend you doing that. 1GB dual channel DDR400 RAM and a new video card, at least a 6600GT or the ATI X800 series.

Thanks everybody here about their usefull informations.
    As I understand it isn't necessary to overclock my PC. I can't understand why u recommend me to uprgrade my video card. What will be the benefits as I don't need any graphic demands ?
    And something last do u think is it necessary to update my bios?

Is it possible to suggest me a good free tweaking software?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spat1980
    I can't understand why u recommend me to uprgrade my video card. What will be the benefits as I don't need any graphic demands ? ?
    I can't understand why he recommended it either. Your video card is overkill for what you're doing.

If you want programs to open faster, there are four things you can do:

Upgrade your hard drive, depending on what you have now. You can get a faster drive (e.g. Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM), a hard drive with more cache (e.g. a 16MB cache drive), or multiple hard drives in a RAID configuration. I don't really think any of these are a very good use of money, but maybe it will make sense for you.

You can get another 512MB stick of RAM. RAM is cheap and 512MB will make a difference in anything but the most basic of programs. This is a pretty good upgrade as it's cheap and very noticable.

The third thing you can do is get a 480W or greater PSU from a good brand and overclock. This is an okay option, because it's fairly expensive and there's a chance you won't overclock well without upgrading elsewhere, too. It's well worth it as long as it all works out.

The fourth and worst option would be to simply upgrade you processor. The processor you have now is fine for what you're doing, but an upgrade would increase speed, as you want.

Personally, I'd start by getting some more RAM, then getting a new PSU and overclocking it.

As for tweaking, either go to www.tweakguides.com and read the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, formerly know as the Windows XP Tweaking Companion, or go here and here and read the orignal Windows XP tweaking guides. The original guides contain both more bad information and more good information. They will help more, but if you're careless you're more likely to run into problems.

Thank u very much. Your help was very usefull to me.
    But none is answering my other question.
    Is it necessary to update my bios?

No, it isn't necessary but for stability purposes is can be useful. Abit has an automatic bios update tool for download on their website called Flashmenu I think. It's easy to use, and make sure you back up your original bios. As for yawg said about upgrading your hard drive, you won't notice a huge increase on a 10,000rpm drive since you're not going to be accessing data at fast speeds. It's smarter to get a large hard drive with a 16MB cache for storage and access. The RAM will help out a lot. If your computer is stable you won't need a new psu, but if you upgrade to more ram and a new HD that may be useful. Getting a new video isn't necessary, I know that already. It's just a common upgrade. If you mentioned earlier that you didn't have any use for graphics (you didn't say what applications you used) then I wouldn't have said that. Just do that list that yawg said, minus a 10,000 rpm harddrive.

As for any upgrades; something is always going to be the worst no matter what part you upgrade

Thread Information