Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: o/c settings that generally increase fps

Default o/c settings that generally increase fps

Just curious about what anyone has found to be a good jump in fps from overclocking your stock rig.

ie was it a decrease in your multiplier to 8x, a bump in voltage to video ddr, ram timings etc

thanks~

Default Re: o/c settings that generally increase fps

On both my 2400 Athlon XP Barton and my 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird, one of the best things was using PC3200(or +) RAM and overclocking the FSB to 200MHz from 133MHz and 100MHz, respectively. Increasing the clock speed helps a lot, too. Since they're both multiplier-unlocked, I can decrease the multi and increase FSB as much as I need to get both a high FSB and high clock speed. Some games don't make as much use from the higher FSB, but Battlefield 2 and some of the other more-recent games really make use of the increased memory bandwidth for both loading times and framerates.

Yawgm0th - Do you overclock from windows or your bios?

BIOS, always the BIOS.

Windows ocing can cause corruption and more instability.

So the only thing you've found to be a "visible" improvement in FPS is by changing the ram voltage and the mhz?

What about video voltage?

Funny, I didn't say voltage once in my post.... Granted, I did have to increase voltage for CPU in order for things to be stable, but the voltage itself doesn't provide any improvement. I didn't overclock the RAM at all, just the processor FSB and clock speed. RAM overclocking will help mostly with Pentium 4s. With socket A processors, you just need to keep it at the same speed as the FSB.

I'd avoid touching your video cards voltage, and never mess with AGP voltage, if that's what you mean. You can improve overclockability by increases in the video card's voltage, but that's only if you have some pretty nice cooling, and even then it's probably not worth the change it will make in the card's life span. With a CPU, it might make the CPU last six years instead of ten, and it's obsolete at either point anyway. With a video card, it might mean one or two years instead of five.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+ Winchester 2ghz stock
    Motherboard: Asus K8V Deluxe
    Video: ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb ddr
    Ram: (2)512 ddr Kingston Original

Right now i have it overclocked to, 2.2ghz
    Multiplier 8.5x
    HTT 260mhz
    Voltagee 1.7v

The RAM I set back from 2.8volts, to 2.6volts, and the timings are 5:3, running at 200mhz cpu-z says, and all the other cas latency etc settings are on auto, not to sure if i should change that id rather...

AGP Voltage was 1.6volts, put it back to 1.5volts. AGP Fast Write off, Departure Size(i think thats what its called) 128mb, Search MDA Resources, off

Any comments on these various settings, also another thing when I open CPU-Z i see the cpu voltage go above 1.7volts up to 1.728volts even though I put 1.7 in the bios... Could this mean I need to put the voltage at 1.750volts?

why does it say not to post replies at the bottom? since im doing it anyway?

what are you talking about...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information