Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to overclock my PC?

Question How to overclock my PC?

Hello guys.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Great site guys,

There are very helpful threads. Iíve been reading your forums for the last five hours now, and I loved every thread that I read, and was very helpful in lots of ways.
    But unfortunately I did not find the main reason why I came here or either was too deep to be found.
    Also I did not find a sticky note, where I could read about what Iím about to ask you, which is what most people would post. And I hate to post what some one might already posted.
    Either way please do forgive me.
    <o:p></o:p>

This is my system spec.

HP a642n
    AMD Athlon(64) XP 3200+ running at 2.0 GHz
    800 MHz Hypertransport system bus (1600MT/s each direction)
    Socket 754
    nForce3 150
    ASUS name: K8N8V-LA
    HP name: Diablo-UL6E
    Ram (installed) 1GB (2x512)
    Maximum allowed 1 GB (2x512)
    Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
    Type 184 pin, PC2700 DDR1-333 SDRAM
    DIMM slots Two
    Open slots 0
    200 GB Ultra DMA 7200RPM
    IBM 120GB Ultra DMA 7200RPM
    BFG Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra GT OC
    AGP 8x graphic card
    256MB maximum DDR video memory
    Creative SB Audigy Platinum
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Service Pack 2
    500W Dynex PS.
    Stuck cooling.

Now obviously my question is that. I believe my rig can do more than its offering me, and Iím a serious PC-Gamer. I ran FEAR, HL2 and Q4 with this momma, all on high settings, but I would like to overclock it (I donít know why maybe to go around telling people my rig is overclocked). Anyway, I donít know jack about overclocking it. Where to start, what are the safest settings without ruining it? Can it be overclocked in the first place? And If it can how many more MHz can I get away with without BBQ-ing the damn thing?

And my million-dollar questions are. How do I overclock it? And is it worth it?
    I know some AMD CPUs perform more than they say is my CPU one of them?

All of your helpful information is highly appreciated. And I thank you all in advance.

Thank you.
    Last edited by FastTarget; 11-10-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Default Re: How to overclock my PC?

its easy to overclock - look in the bios for voltage settings, fsb and multiplier (tho i cant remember if althlons are multiplyer unlocked.) first, put on a overheat alarm in the bios to lowest temperature (60deg) so it doesnt fry owt. beware the fsb can sometimes srew up other stuff (seldom) look for agp/pci bus locks. my p4 overclocked to 2ghz from 1.8 so 200mhz is realistic overclock.

I donít have Voltage Settings, FSB and Multiplier in my Bios and where the CPU info is, is grayed out. Believe me I looked everywhere.

Is there a way I can have my Bios show these values/Settings?

Thanks.

You won't get far on that motherboard. Don't bother overclocking the processor. Also, your processor is an Athlon 64, not an Athlon (64) XP. There's no Athlon 64 XP.

You can overclock your video card using coolbits (Google it and you should be able to figure it out from there), but it won't help in many games because you're quite CPU-limited. Plus, it's an "OC" model, so it should come overclocked at stock, which means you won't get any further with it than you would with the processor.

That is bad news. Thanks for the reply though.

Question.
    Whatís wrong with my motherboard? I would like to know for future references. Because in future PCs I would like to know what to look for and what to look out.

Again Thanks.
    Last edited by FastTarget; 11-12-2005 at 04:49 AM.

I hate to say it but im sure my AMD 64 3200+ does NOT run as fast as a pentium 3.2ghz chip... although it wont be 64bit not like I use it anyway grats 32bit windows

How did you find that out? Is there a place like web site where you look up this information?

If there is one please post the address.

Quote Originally Posted by KhaosWolf
    I hate to say it but im sure my AMD 64 3200+ does NOT run as fast as a pentium 3.2ghz chip... although it wont be 64bit not like I use it anyway grats 32bit windows
    It should perform right around the same in most applications, assuming it's socket 939. It should be considerably better if you're talking about socket 754.

The model numbers on AMD processors do not coincide with Pentium 4 clock speed. In fact, as I hinted at above, they don't even coincide with other AMD processors with the same model number.
    For example:

3.2GHz Pentium 4
    2.0GHz socket 939 Athlon 64 3200
    2.2GHz socket 754 Athlon 64 3200
    2.0GHz 1MB L2 cache socket 754 Athlon 64 3200
    2.2GHz Athlon XP 3200

All of them perform differently in different applications. The AMD model numbers really don't tell you much.

Damn, I was trying to Edit one of my above questions and end up deleting part of it.
    Thanks for the clarifications.
    Also what's wrong with my motherboard? I would like to know for future references. Because in future PCs I would like to know what to look for and what to look out.

Sorry, forogt that last post.

The motherboard is based on a chipset that doesn't have a working AGP/PCI lock. This means that when you overclock, the AGP and PCI buses will be overclocked as well. At only a few MHz above stock, this causes instability and basically kills your overclockability.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information