Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help with ancient technology.

Red face Help with ancient technology.

Hey y'all. I am in the process of upgrading my system, but for now I am trying to work with what I got. See if any of you remember a flash from the past. My video card is nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 Pro. The manufacturer doesn't even have it on their website that they even made it, so needless to say I can't find a newer driver than what I got. So I am trying to find out if I can overclock it. It will be replaced in a few weeks so I don't care if it incinerates itself. I know they probably didn't even know what overclocking was when this video card was new, but anything is better than it is now. I heard the Coolbits works with TNT2 but I don't know if it did anything; I don't know where to look.
    My spec's:
    AMD Athlon XP 1700 o/c to 2000 1.67 Ghz
    Abit KD7 mobo fsb:266hz(Socket A)
    512 mb DDR SDRAM 133
    Turbolink 420w psu
    If you need to know anything else just ask.

Thanks for any help.

Oh... on a side topic.... what is a safe voltage for the processor? Like the video card, the processor is going away in a few weeks it seems to be running fine at 1.6v but is this enough? Too much? Prior to o/c it was at 1.5v.

Default Re: Help with ancient technology.

Do you have any older drivers on hand? With that series of video board, I seem to recall hearing that newer drivers messed things up so older drivers will be the way to go in this case.

As for the side topic, as long as your temperatures are reasonable, you haven't gone too high on the voltage. Increasing this setting has a direct impact on temps so you can use it as a guide. It also depends on the core. If I remember correctly, the 1700 pprocessors came in both Palomino and Thoroughbred versions.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

You guessed it, it's a thoroughbred, 130nm.

The video card comes from an old computer so an older driver is not possible. But the video card is working fine. I am in the process of upgrading my knowledge on all things about computer performance so this video card is a great learning platform.As I said before, soon this video card will be banished to the city dump, so if it incinerates itself, no skin of my back. If anyone knows of a good guide to read on this topic, please let me know. Thanks.

Oh, to correct an error made on my last post, my fsb is 133Mhz, not 266Mhz.

No, you were right. Your fsb is 133. But multiply that times two and you got 266 which is your effective speed. Just letting you know.

Thread Information