Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking an FX-55 with water

Default Re: Overclocking an FX-55 with water

Thanks for the tip. OCZ's forum had a lot of helpful info on there. Upping the voltage on the RAM seemed to make a difference. I just got home from work and I've had prime95 running stable for about 8 hours now with these settings:

1.63v, 224 x 13 = 2912, 48 C
    LDT is at 2.5x with 1.26v
    chipset is 1.57v at 46 C
    RAM is 112 mhz, 2.5-3-2-5 @ 3.22v

I'm probably going to try a new BIOS, later and see what happens.

I'm a little apprehensive though. I mean if this can't run stable at stock settings, will it ever be stable?

Also, an interesting thing that happened before all this. I was burning some files to a CD and it locked up. This happens every now and then with my Lite-On burner. The only way to get out of it was to restart my computer. I did that and it wouldn't start. Now if I have to molex powercord plugged into the cdrom the computer won't even post. unplug it, starts right up.

I don't think it has anything to do with the motherboard though, seeing how something similar happened before with my first Lite-On burner in my old rig.

After some tips at the OCZ forum, I flashed with a new BIOS and got it stable at 2925 @1.63v.

I really don't want to take the voltage any higherso I may leave it here. My temp seems a little high though.

How often should you change the water in your system?

The water really only needs to be changed to prevent gunk buildup. Every 6-12 months is fine. As for heat, what is the temps you are worried about. If you are running the VX slower than CAS 2, it takes less juice. CAS 2 requires at least 3.3V to run right. I run my VX @ 3.3V 24/7 @ 2-2-2-6-T1. My CPU Heatsink/fan (XP-90 w/120MM fan) overlaps it nicely and the temps of the ram are never eally more than slightly warm. THey are usually cool to the touch. When I run benchmarks, I have upped the ram to 3.8-3.9V and not had issues. DO NOT go over 3.5V on my advice. I have run both sets of my VX that high with no effects, but I do have excellent case airflow and cooling. As long as it is cool, it doesn't care. If you are looking for ram that doesn't make the heat with timings like you are running, get some TCCD based ram. It will only need 2.75-2.85V to run at the speeds you are running now. Other than that, I am glad it is getting more stable.

As for the burner, stay away from LiteOn. They are crap. Get a NEC DVD burner or even a BENQ would be better than Liteon. If it won't post with it attached, it be dead. Junk it.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I think I've reached the max on the cpu with 2938.5 @ 1.63v. I'm about 8 hours deep in prime95 so it's lookin good. I'm about to test the RAM after this which is gonna be the tough part. I got two 20mm fans directly on top of the sticks. I'll probably change them to the yellow slots, too, cause I hear those ones are better for high voltage. What's your HTT on that RAM, casecutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby74213
    I just ran Prime95 at all stock settings and it failed in less than a minute. Then I ran it again and it failed in 14 minutes. Does this mean there's something wrong with the hardware? I did a quick run through all the tests in memtest and it passed, no problem. I'm going to do some more extensive testing on it in a bit though.
    (Taken from some Prime95 text)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    --------------------------

Q) My machine is not overclocked. If I'm getting an error, then there must
    be a bug in the program, right?

A) The torture test is comparing your machines results against
    KNOWN CORRECT RESULTS. If your machine cannot generate correct
    results, you have a hardware problem. HOWEVER, if you are failing
    the torture test in the SAME SPOT with the SAME ERROR MESSAGE
    every time, then ask for help at http://mersenneforum.org - it is
    possible that a recent change to the torture test code may have
    introduced a software bug.
    Opteron 165 / Abit KN8 SLI / 2GB Infineon BE5 / XFX 7800GT / X-Fi ExtremeMusic / 3D Aurora case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby74213
    I think I've reached the max on the cpu with 2938.5 @ 1.63v. I'm about 8 hours deep in prime95 so it's lookin good. I'm about to test the RAM after this which is gonna be the tough part. I got two 20mm fans directly on top of the sticks. I'll probably change them to the yellow slots, too, cause I hear those ones are better for high voltage. What's your HTT on that RAM, casecutter?
    I run my ram no higher than 261MHz, no matter what HTT. With the dividers I run for overclocking, I tend to use about a 320HTT. Then in A64Tweaker, I set the ram divider to 150MHz to keep it under 261MHz. I havew honestly had a rough time figuring out all the dividers to get this thing remotely stable when I OC it. Get some bigger fans for that ram. I mean alot bigger. I use two 60MM fans. They are not high speed, they are only about 20CFM each and are very quiet. They just move a larger volume of air over the entire ram area. Anyhow, good job and hope it is going well!
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information