Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opteron 144 sucks so far!

Default Opteron 144 sucks so far!

Hi I wonder if you can help after frying my previous NF7s I have rebuilt my system using an Opteron 144 and the Gigabyte K8N Pro Sli motherboard. The trouble is I can’t really seem to over clock it in the bios.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The software overclock utility which came with the board allows an overclock up to 2160mhz……taking memory up to 240fsb…..however this appears unstable.

I have used the advanced features in the bios……and started by lowering the HTT to 3 raising mem frequency to 233 ………zippo…….fails to boot.

<o:p></o:p>

My PSU is old an Enermax 465w device. I notice the board has the new PCi Express power supply connector…..my psu connects fine (1 large muti plug and one 4way plug)……as per instructions but does not fill the last four sockets……………could this lead to instability……..do I need a new PCi express PSU. I am a little concerned that I am hanging a lot of disk drives (5 in total!) off my trusty Enermax.

Opteron 144 1.8ghz <o:p></o:p>

Gigabyte K8N Pro Sli<o:p></o:p>

2x512 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kingston</st1:place></st1:City> HyperX 4000<o:p></o:p>

Gigabyte 6800GS PCi Vga<o:p></o:p>

Enermax 465w psu<o:p></o:p>

Thermal Take Big Water - cooling to cpu only<o:p></o:p>

Adaptec 39160 – with 3 scsi devices 1x70gig primary 15k hd<o:p></o:p>

1x18gig 15k<o:p></o:p>

1x36gig 10k<o:p></o:p>

Ide drive 1x160gb<o:p></o:p>

1x40gb<o:p></o:p>

Well vented Themaltake Shark Case<o:p></o:p>

Default Re: Opteron 144 sucks so far!

It isn't so much that you need a PCI-E power supply as you need one that has a native 24-pin main coupler. From what I've seen so far, power supplies with native 24-pin main power are compatible (with an adapter) with any 20-pin motherboards, but the reverse is not true.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I second that opinion. I would think you could overclock slightly better than that, but you really should get a native 24 pin PSU. If you plan on overclocking alot, replace that heatsink on the chipset with a heatsink/fan combo. It will help alot with stability. From what I have read, those motherboards seem to do fairly well overclocking, the only limit was the lack of a fan on the chipset. Also, make sure you have the latest bios on that board so it properly supports the Opteron CPU.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Not only is that PSU insufficient (regardless of the power connector), but unless you've either lowered timings or set a divider, the RAM can't handle that speed. Being rated at PC4000 means it will run at that speed, but it doesn't mean that it will run with some latencies that it would at PC3200 speeds. You also may need to increase the voltage to it.

hi thx for your reply.......I will replace the psu will go for a 600w Enermax SLi compliant.

As for timings ..... I dit reduce HTT to 3 upped the FSB to 230 and set a divider to keep the timing to around 400.........still no go...........

I have to say I am not a fan of this board I will be RMA ing it....

Thx...

You might try the power supply before you RMA the board. Having enough power to work with will likely make a huge difference.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by D3xxx
    As for timings ..... I dit reduce HTT to 3 upped the FSB to 230 and set a divider to keep the timing to around 400.........still no go...........
    That's not what timings mean, but as long as your RAM is around 200MHz it won't matter much what timings you're using.

Sorry I don't understand ...... I thought the whole idea was adjust the HTT to ensure the 2ghz was not exceeded when upping the fsb. Normally this is set to 5. 5x200=1000x2=2000. So dropping HTT to say 3 and upping FSB to say 230 (bearing in mind you have mem capable of 250) ......then setting a divider on the memory....to keep around 400mhz should do the trick.....providing the memory timings are ok. Which for Kingston HperX is 3,3,3,8 which the board detected.

When i have checked other sites ... many others seem to be getting similar problems....with this board. I am talking seasoned clockers.....

I tried the software overclock this went up to 240fsb.

Anyway I am changing the board and getting a new 600w psu.

Your advice would be welcome......have I got it totally wrong?????

Set the Ht to 3. Set the memory to either 150 or evern 133. Then up the HTT and see how far it will go. You will probably need to run the ram probably 3-4-4-8 to go over where you have managed so far. Set it all loose and worry about tightening it all up once you figure out how far it will go. Ram with 3-3-3-8 timings is not going to run tight anyways. Setting it really loose will let you figure out the HTT. You should be able to go to at least 250 HTT. Try it that way. That board will not allow max overclocks, but I still say you should get better. If you drop that board, get a DFI Ultra-D. Just be prepared to learn about alot of new settings for overclocking. No other board comes close.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Pc specs:-
    Asus AN8 SLi Premium
    Hi just reporting back......well to cut a long story short......I returned Gigabyte board....its a good board but a ***** to overclock!!!! I purchased an Asus AN8 SLi Premium........all i can say is wow .... this is one mother of a board!!!!

Put opti in + a new psu (Tagan 580w easycon) .........my FSB is now on 300 using a 266 divider giving me 2.7ghz........this pc blisters along........Sandra 2005pro scoring the cpu as XP4400!!

All hail Asus + Opti ..............

I can only think the Gigabyte boards bios is - protected and obstructive - to OC.
    Its a mystery as the Gigabyte menu appears great with a good range settings....
    pc spec below..

Thanks Guys
    Richard Bolton UK

Opteron 144 1.5V
    Shark case
    Thermatake water cooling for cpu
    Kingston PC4000 1gb
    6800GS
    39160 adaptec scsi card driving 15k 75gd segate drive + 36 gig drive
    2 ata 100 drives
    Tagan 580w Easy Conn

running 2.7ghz