Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help me overclock my comp

Default Help me overclock my comp

Hello there, i just bought elder scrolls IV: oblivion and i am surprised to see that i suffer from slowdowns while outdoors playing in full settings with either HDR screen effects or antialiasing 2x(and don't get me started with antialiasing 4x), since its not much of a slowdown i think a little overclocking might be in order to compensate for it.

Unfortunately i don't have the slightest idea regarding overclocking, i dont even know if its my processor or the video card causing the bottleneck (or both), so if you guys can help me that would be awesome.

Here is my current comp:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz
    Motherboard: DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D
    Video card: XFX GeForce 7800GT 256 MB
    Memory: Kingston 2GB PC3200 CL2 HYPER X 4 sticks of 512mb
    HDD: Samsung SP1614C (sata 150)
    Power supply: 680 watts
    Last edited by computernewbie; 04-24-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry god and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

Talking Re: Help me overclock my comp

Quote Originally Posted by computernewbie
    Hello there, i just bought elder scrolls IV: oblivion and i am surprised to see that i suffer from slowdowns while outdoors playing in full settings with either HDR screen effects or antialiasing 2x(and don't get me started with antialiasing 4x), since its not much of a slowdown i think a little overclocking might be in order to compensate for it.

Unfortunately i don't have the slightest idea regarding overclocking, i dont even know if its my processor or the video card causing the bottleneck (or both), so if you guys can help me that would be awesome.

Here is my current comp:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4ghz
    Motherboard: DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D
    Video card: XFX GeForce 7800GT 256 MB
    Memory: Kingston 1GB PC3200 CL2 HYPER X 4 sticks of 512mb
    HDD: Samsung SP1614C (sata 150)
    Power supply: 680 watts
    nice pc man!,
    u have 1 problem,u need 2 gigs of ram,everything is sweet.u dont belive me,read this link below..its only 1 page but read it and understand that u need 2 gigs of ram for what your demanding from it.
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

buy this 2x1 gig cas 2-3-2-5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227210
    my same ram for $140 for the kit...insane i paid $250 for each of my 2 kits $500 u will have plenty of ram,set your video card settings as hi as they can go max,overclock your cpus to 2.9-3.0ghz all day long,and still have 2 ram slots open for later.....frag out best $140 u ever spent in your life,and is that a no name powersupply i see there??
    Last edited by bf2nut; 04-23-2006 at 10:46 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Default Re: Help me overclock my comp

You say you hve 4x512MB, yet you say you have 1GB. Which is it?

Regardless, I see no reason to spend money. I've got the game maxed on a system almost identical to yours. Go to www.tweakguides.com and follow the Oblivion tweak guide. It will help performance a lot. One of the tweaks it links to will almost certainly fix your outdoor problem.

ops my mistake, yeah i have 2 gigabytes, 4 sticks of 512 i already edited it out.

And for cooling i have on the procesor zalman pure copper 120 mm fan and for the chipset thermal take spirit cooler i think it called. anyways i think i need a minor overclocking here but the thing is i dont know wich component its bottlenecking nor do i know how to overclock.
    Last edited by computernewbie; 04-24-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Beware, you who seek first and final principles, for you are trampling the garden of an angry god and he awaits you just beyond the last theorem.

I'm telling you right now there's no hardware bottleneck. My specs:
    A64@2.47GHz
    2x1GB of RAM (maxed settings with 1GB single-channel) in dual-channel
    Audigy 2
    7800GT
    500W Antec PSU

Unless half as much RAM , 70MHz higher clock speed, and an Audigy 2 make huge, positive impact on framerate, there's no reason you should be having framerate issues. I you're getting decent framerates, but you want higher, you could give a minor overclock. Go into your BIOS and find a settings labeled "HTT" or "FSB" and raise it a little (5-10MHz) bit at a time. You will want to set RAM timings to something higher (find "CAS latency" and set it to 2.5, for example) as well as increase voltage ever-so-slightly to your RAM. You also will want to turn the HTT multiplier (probably labeled something similar in the BIOS) down to 4x or even 3x. As you get higher and higher clock speeds, you will either need to stop overclocking or turn processor voltage up. Other factors can come into play, but as long as you keep it minor (100MHz-200MHz), I think you'll have any problems.

If my instructions are too vague, I can do better. I just don't feel like going to deeply into this right now.

what he said but take it slow..
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Thanks for the tip, ill try them on and hopefully reduce the FPS drop while outdoors.

Thread Information