Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Speed drops when overclocking

Cool Memory Speed drops when overclocking

I have not overclocked a pc in a few years, so the new mobo's have opened up some new questions that I have not experienced on older computers when overclocking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I recently purchased the following hardware:<o:p></o:p>

• Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard<o:p></o:p>
    • AMD Opteron 165 (1.8 GHz stock)<o:p></o:p>
    • 2x1GB Corsair XMS PC3200<o:p></o:p>
    • Asus EN7600GX Silent 256 MB VRAM<o:p></o:p>
    • ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu CPU cooler<o:p></o:p>
    • WD 320 GB SATA 3.0 Hard Drive<o:p></o:p>
    • Antec LifeStyle SONATA II case w/ 450w P/S<o:p></o:p>
    This processor and Motherboard are awesome overclockers, I got the Opteron 165 overclocked from 1800 MHz to 2610 MHz with stock voltage and the CPU temp was running at about 48c. I ran many OC tests and never got any instability problems. My only problem is that when I overclock that high, my memory clock speed drops down to 266 MHz instead of 400 MHz and when I try to manually set the memory to run at 400 MHz, I can only get my CPU to overclock to about 1980 MHz.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

The Opteron 165 lets me only use up to a 9X multiplier, so I have to get the FSB up to 290 to reach 2610 MHz. If I take my FSB down to about 245, I can get my memory to run at 333 MHz<o:p></o:p>

I am unsure if I am better off running my CPU at about 1940 MHz with my memory running at 400 MHz, or run my CPU at 2610, but with my memory running at only 266 MHz. I am also unsure if the memory is really running at full speed because of the increased FSP, but just doesn’t show that way.<o:p></o:p>

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Memory Speed drops when overclocking

Google CPU-Z, download and open the cpuz.exe file and click on the memory tab to find what your actual memory speed is.

When you overclock your CPU your memory overclocks along with it. When your memory reaches a certain point it does not want to overclock any further. With most motherboards you have to set a RAM divider as soon as you reach this point, if you dont you will have stability issues with your RAM. It seems your motherboard is doing it on its own to prevent damage to the RAM. Or possably just to make it easier on the end user, you.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Here is the CPU-Z specs. Do you see anything that I sould change such as memory timing, or should I try to bump up the memory voltage a little?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#f0f0f0 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CPU(s)</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL><SMALL> </SMALL></SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Number of CPUs</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#f0f0f0 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CPU#1</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>APIC ID = 0</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Name</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>AMD Opteron 165 (UP)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Code Name</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Toledo</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Specification</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Family / Model / Stepping</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>F 3 2</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Extended Family / Model</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>F 23</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Brand ID</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>44</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Package</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Socket 939</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Core Stepping</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>JH9-E6</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Technology</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>90 nm</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Supported Instructions Sets</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CPU Clock Speed</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2610.0 MHz</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Clock multiplier</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>x 9.0</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>HTT Bus Frequency</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>290.0 MHz</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L1 Data Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L1 Instruction Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Speed</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2610.0 MHz (Full)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Location</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>On Chip</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Data Prefetch Logic</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>yes</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Bus Width</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>128 bits</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#f0f0f0 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CPU#2</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>APIC ID = 1</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Name</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>AMD Opteron 165 (UP)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Code Name</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Toledo</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Specification</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Family / Model / Stepping</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>F 3 2</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Extended Family / Model</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>F 23</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Brand ID</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>44</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Package</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Socket 939</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Core Stepping</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>JH9-E6</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Technology</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>90 nm</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Supported Instructions Sets</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CPU Clock Speed</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2610.0 MHz</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Clock multiplier</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>x 9.0</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>HTT Bus Frequency</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>290.0 MHz</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L1 Data Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L1 Instruction Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Cache</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Speed</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2610.0 MHz (Full)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Location</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>On Chip</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Data Prefetch Logic</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>yes</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>L2 Bus Width</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>128 bits</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%"><SMALL></SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#f0f0f0 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Memory</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL><SMALL> </SMALL></SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>DRAM Type</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>DDR-SDRAM</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>DRAM Size</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2048 MBytes</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>DRAM Frequency</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>186.4 MHz</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>FSB:DRAM</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>CPU/14</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>CAS# Latency</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2.5 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>RAS# to CAS#</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>3 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>RAS# Precharge</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>3 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Cycle Time (TRAS)</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>8 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Bank Cycle Time (TRC)</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>15 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>DRAM Idle Timer</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>16 clocks</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Command Rate</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2T</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL># of memory modules</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>2</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Module 0</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Corsair DDR PC3200 - 1024 MBytes</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="40%"><SMALL>Module 1</SMALL></TD><TD><SMALL>Corsair DDR PC3200 - 1024 MBytes</SMALL></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

your ram semms to be running close to its default 200mhz, which is okay for that cpu clock speed. i have the same memory and it runs fine at 240mhz, albeit with relaxed timings, but it wont pass memtest near the very end.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Thanks for the reply, Would you be happy with the above specs, or would you change something? My temps are as follows:

Motherboard: 109 F
    Processor: 123 F

Do you think that it would be better to back down the FSB some to lower the temps? I am very happy about the 810 MHz increase that I got out of this dual core processor that many thought would be too hot even at stock clock speeds, at stock speeds, my CPU temp is only 3 F over the Mobo temp. Way to go AMD.

The CPU is a tad warm, though it's nothing to worry about. And I doubt the motherboard temp is really that high, unless it's a chipset.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Thread Information