Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    cumbria, UK
    Posts
    367

    Default doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    my cpu in the bios is supposed to get 1.45v but in cpuz it shows it getting closer to 1.35v, while fluctuating. is this my cheap-ass psu being weak? i cant get any more clocks out of the cpu with this motherboard, without it failing prime95 and stuff.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,364

    Default Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    That PSU is definitely terrible for your needs and you should replace it. You are pushing it much too hard with such a low quality unit. You are risking that when it quits from the stress that it will take out other parts. You may not get a much higher OC, but it will certainly be more stable. You should replace it with a quality PSU as soon as possible.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    That PSU is definitely terrible for your needs and you should replace it. You are pushing it much too hard with such a low quality unit. You are risking that when it quits from the stress that it will take out other parts. You may not get a much higher OC, but it will certainly be more stable. You should replace it with a quality PSU as soon as possible.

    like $300 shoes with dirty socks....
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    cumbria, UK
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    thanks guys will do
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    Your CPU gets voltage from regulators on your mother board so your PSU doesn't have a direct effect on it. Sometimes on cheaper older PSU's you will be getting "unclean" power.

    Let's say clean power looks like this ------- while unclean looks like this
    ----^---^--^-^^^----.
    Your motherboard tries to filter out those fluctuations but can only do so much. Your V-Core fluctuations are probably caused by that PSU.

    Just wanted to give you a better idea of what happens with an older PSU.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    pa usa
    Posts
    264

    Talking Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    Quote Originally Posted by VAGUE
    Your CPU gets voltage from regulators on your mother board so your PSU doesn't have a direct effect on it. Sometimes on cheaper older PSU's you will be getting "unclean" power.

    Let's say clean power looks like this ------- while unclean looks like this
    ----^---^--^-^^^----.
    Your motherboard tries to filter out those fluctuations but can only do so much. Your V-Core fluctuations are probably caused by that PSU.

    Just wanted to give you a better idea of what happens with an older PSU.

    true, but your psu has thee backbone of the cpu and needs to be top notch no exceptions(antec,ocz,pc power and cooling brands are rok solid 12 v rails),just dont buy a cheap p\s period(spenmd the whopping $70,if not nothing but problems i found out the hard way,long time ago
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: doe the PSU affect the voltage to the CPU?

    Quote Originally Posted by bf2nut
    true, but your psu has thee backbone of the cpu and needs to be top notch no exceptions(antec,ocz,pc power and cooling brands are rok solid 12 v rails),just dont buy a cheap p\s period(spenmd the whopping $70,if not nothing but problems i found out the hard way,long time ago

    agreed, i was just throwing out a diffirent perspective :)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •