Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unlocking XP's

I saw a how-to article not to long ago ( I don't recall where) the guy filled the pits with wax from a crayola crayon & drew his silver traces across the wax.

seems a little crude - but less permanent than superglue or epoxy

RDR, I used that exact same pen on my XP and it's worked fine for three weeks at least. I cost me about $35 Aussie dollars from Dick Smith's. I'm sure that the rear demister repair kit would be cheaper, but as I was using a $400 processor, I didn't care much.

First I cleaned the bridges with isopropanol and nail polish remover. This was some job, because there was a 'warranty void if removed' sticker over the bridges and it left a lot of gummy residue behind :(. I guess my warranty is void now :D

Next I used superglue in a line to fill in the L1 pits. Care must be taken to mask off the contacts on either side of the pits. This was easy and really filled in the pits well.

Ten minutes later I carefully masked off each bridge and used that pen to make the connections. It tended not to come out real smooth, and examining the connections under strong magnification, it looked like a very rough finish (like looking at the moon through a telescope!). Still, it did the trick :D.

I used a multimeter to test continuity across the connections to be sure, and I ended up having to redo one bridge because the connection didn't work.

All in all, a very time consuming process. Those pits are a lot smaller than they look in web articles. I had the processor back in the box and overclocking an hour after I had finished. 'Twas a good nights work.

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    I saw a how-to article not to long ago ( I don't recall where) the guy filled the pits with wax from a crayola crayon & drew his silver traces across the wax.

seems a little crude - but less permanent than superglue or epoxy
    I would have thought that the Athlon temps would have melted the wax and made a mess. hmmm

JM
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

;) think ya got something there, jm.....I must'a been .
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Yeah I seen the crayon one to and my thoughts were the same about the heat produced. :devil:

super glue? nail pollish?? wax?!?!

pfft!!!

peanut butter nad al foil baby!!! ;) :D

:D ya recommend just any kind jelly w/ that PB?
    Todate: 1000+ OC'g postings,
    +=I lost count sometime ago.

AthlonXP 1800|MSI K7T266PRO2|786mb P2100 Mushkin|20gig IBM GXP60 (Deathstar- it's twin died) Hd |20gig maxtor ata133|Abit GF4 TI 4200|SdBlstr live!|16x t0shy|16x10x40 Liton| Cooling: 3 80mm cf@128cfm, 2 grill Hd fans, 2 92mm & 80mm @64cfm mod'd gladiator.
    CPU @ 34c & Case @ 31c| MSXP|dsl

Save everybody sometime, post your system spec's. It saves time when ya need help!

Now listen guy's we really don't want to know the extras ya's use for sex thanx. :D

Wiggo, maybe it is a good idea to keep an open mind about such things. :D
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

But ya know.... I ..... what I ...... gee I give up. :laugh:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information