Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking AMD 3700+ Problems

Post Overclocking Problems - Need Help

I seem to be having some problems with overclocking my "AMDAthlon 64 3700+" processor from its default clock speed of 2.4 GHz, which is the best processor anyone could get on an AGP system with a 754 Socket motherboard. If you guys are familiar with overclocking you should know about the 12*200 being my default. I also have a very good motherboard, perfect for overclocking, its a "EPoX 8KDA3+ PRO", also one of the best AGP Based motherboards, and a 1GB Corsair RAM, a DVD Burner, 2 HardDrives connected using SATA directly to the motherboard. My Videocard is a "Palit 6800GS", which is fairly a mid-range videocard, but it has a VGA PCI-Express cable which converts to two normal 4 pin powerconnectors, but i dont use that i already have a PowerSupply that has a direct VGA cable stright into the videocard, which is also good. My powersupply is a "Super Flower 500W PSU" this also is a very good PSU, i just purchased it for $89 Australian Currency. The thing is with all these things plugged into my motherboard, i am able to overclock to 203 * 12, any further i go the computer crashes. When i took my Videocard out and replaced it with a old ATI 9200 Pro, i overclocked the CPU to 209*12 without it crashing, and making it run a 2.5 GHz, when i returned the video card back the system crashed when i entered Windows. Anyways, yesturday i purchased a Gainward 7800GS+ for $610 Australian, and its arriving tommorow through the post. Do you guys think that my overclocking problem is occuring because of my PSU, but i know its a very good brand and its a 500W one, so it should run perfectly, i also am sure that the motherboard is good, and i've also read in other forums that people overclocked there AMD 64-Bit 3700+, running at 2.4 GHz, to 2.6 GHz easily, or thats what they said. Anyways were do you think my problem is occuring, and also do you recommand i increase the voltage to the CPU when i overclock, the default is 1.51 V, and just a few minutes ago i increased this to 1.63 V and i was able to run the computer at 211*12, but no further, so i think the CPU is not recieving enough power, is it safe to inrease the voltage higher then 1.63 or not, a friend of mine said that i should never go beyond 1.64, and just now before i type this post in the forum i changed everything back to default already. This motherboard has alot of features that i am not familiar with ... Please help i would really apreciate it. Thanks Guys

EDIT: Title Change
    Last edited by electroking; 07-04-2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Changing title

Talking Re: Overclocking AMD 3700+ Problems

Sorry for the double post but would it be safe to set the CPU in this type of way:

260 * 10, because i am able to do that and it will get 2.6 GHz, because i changed the multiplier from 12 to 10, and increased the clock from 200 MHz to 260 MHz, would this be exactly the same or is it safer to just use the 12 multiplier and increase little by little. Here is a review regarding my motherboard, maybe this will help you tell me which is the best setting for me to configure, have a look at it, i am sure its a very good motherboard it cost me more than $200 Australian currency, so it should be good.

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/epox-8kda3+/

Just click the link. Thanks again and again sorry for double posting.

Default Re: Overclocking AMD 3700+ Problems

yup, it would be safe to do either of the overclocking options, but you will need more voltage (s754 is not as good for overclocking athlons as s939) also need decent cooling. stress test your computer while running a program to detect temperature.
    your mobo should go higher than that in terms of bus speed. whats the 12v rail ampage rating on the psu?
    Last edited by Munkul; 07-04-2006 at 06:25 PM.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

all the information required regarding my PSU, could be found in this link, please take a look. Thanks for the help, but i've heard from many 754 Socket users that they were successful in overclocking this Processor. Anyways here is the link:

http://www.teschke.de/heatpipes/News...perflower.html

Everything you require should be here for you, regarding my PSU that is.

This image of the PSU should contain what you required earlier http://www.teschke.de/heatpipes/supe...hild-gr-ss.jpg

hmm, looks like a good psu, so thats ruled out. whats the cooling like?
    System Specs:
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    LOTS OF METAL

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul
    hmm, looks like a good psu, so thats ruled out. whats the cooling like?
    Default cooling but believe me my system is very cool, even when i overclocked to the 211*12, it hardly reached 40 to max 42 when idle, and it never exceeded 55 even when i use it at 100%, it not cooling, i think its my stupid 6800GS, it crashes every now and then, i'll see tommorow what heppens when i get my 7800GS+, which is a 7900GT core bases GPU.

Anyways if i get the 7800GS+ does anyone have this and how much did you overclock it with default cooling, without too much stress on it.

Question Re: Overclocking AMD 3700+ Problems

Quote Originally Posted by electroking
    Default cooling but believe me my system is very cool, even when i overclocked to the 211*12, it hardly reached 40 to max 42 when idle, and it never exceeded 55 even when i use it at 100%, it not cooling, i think its my stupid 6800GS, it crashes every now and then, i'll see tommorow what heppens when i get my 7800GS+, which is a 7900GT core bases GPU.

Anyways if i get the 7800GS+ does anyone have this and how much did you overclock it with default cooling, without too much stress on it.
    dude they showed your p\s being tested on a p4 2.6,5900 card,single 120hd...?no overclocking done\prime95 bah.wow thats a stress test?im sorry but my pc would bring your p\s to its knees and beg it to stop.antec\ocz\pc-power and cooling,foltron are real p\s made for heavy loads and overclocking.im not liking that p\s 1 bit to b honest with you.a real p\s can take tests like many places do.dual core cpu,2 cards in sli,2 hds in raid 0,overclocked to the wall then primed... superflower?
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Just for BF2's info, Superflower is one of two large companies in SE Asia that make PSU's for some big name brands (the other is Casepower) and their quality is just as good for their brand as it is for the other companies that they produce for (it should be more than capable of doing the job in electroking's setup).

bf2, look t the 12v rating = 30A plenty enough for nearly ANYTHING
    well, i think whatever the temps are, you should buy a better cooler - a decent one will be quieter and give far better cooling. my g-power, on slow speed (ie 1600rpm) is silent and gives me around 30deg when tested with prime95 for a few hours. also, my bro's rig, with opteron 144 @2.8ghz
    definately give more voltage - and stress test it - if the temps go above 50deg you know you are on the wrong side of a safe level. (thats my rule, anyway - if anyone sees fit to go higher or lower say so)
    Last edited by Munkul; 07-05-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    System Specs:
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    LOTS OF METAL

Just remember, when you know nothing of a foreign country, do not make assumptions. Hardware is also easily double the US price in Australia. It is about 33% US higher in Canada. It is about 33% -66% higher in various parts of Europe. Brands in other countries do not exist in other countries alot of the time. Alot of the time they cannot get brands because of the incredibly high import fees to get them. Superflower gets good ratings and that is definitely a solid PSU for that system.

Back on topic. Dropping the multi and getting 260X10 is better because it will speed the bandwidth of the ram up and give better performance. Alot of the time, those CPU's don't overclock well so you may be at it's limits. You just cannot go by how well someone else got theirs to clock. There are alot of other factors. What kind of ram do you have? THat could also be a very limiting factor.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information