Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: sound problem when overclocking :-(

Question sound problem when overclocking :-(

Hi im kinda new to overclocking and just recently overclocked my cpu, i can easily overclock to 2550mhz but as soon as i increase the speed more than that my sound card plays fuzzy noises whenever i run aything with sound, i dont think the problems with overheating because as soon as i overclock the sound goes fuzzy. i overclocked using msi's core center.
    can some please help me

my system specs:
    intel pentium 4 2.4ghz
    msi ms-6728 mainboard with onboard sound
    2 x 512 mb kingston ram
    nvidia 6800xt

Default Re: sound problem when overclocking :-(

i forgot to say that as soon as it reaches 2.6ghz sound does not work at all.

Overlocking effects more than just your cpu/ram. It also puts a strain on your PCI bus. On-board audio is particularly susceptible to this. In other words you've hit your threshold on how far you can overclock. You can try a legitimate sound card and see if you have better luck with it.
    #

so are you saying that thats the limit that i could could overclock with a onboard souncard?

if you want to keep your on-board sound undamaged, yes...
    #

Onboard sound sometimes even will go out on a mobo with a locked PCI/AGP bus, just VERY susceptible to OC'ing. Just replace it with a PCI sound card and you will probably be able to get up there further.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard specs, but if you have the ability to lock the PCI bus at a certain speed, it will sometimes work also. This lets the bus retain factory speeds but still lets the system overclock memory and processor speeds.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

i went into bios and was able to lock the pci and agp bus and the sounds working fine now

thanks for all the help guys , it looks like i wont be needing a new sound card after all

Thread Information