Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD AM2 4200+ slower than 3600+????

Default AMD AM2 4200+ slower than 3600+????

Hi All,

I am having a strange issue.

I have purchased a new system just recently:
    CPU: AMD AM2 Dual core 3600+
    Mobo: Gigabyte M55SLI-4
    1.5 GB DDR2 533Mhz Ram
    500GN HDD
    Geforce 8800GTS

I was getting over 6300 points in 3DMARK 2006.
    I was not happy with the performance when running Microsoft FSX, so decided to replace the CPU with the AM2 Dual core 4200+.
    Since I did, I am getting a ridiculously low 2180 Points in 3Dmark 2006 and 2005.

Reinstalled all drivers and loaded AMDs Dual core optimiser but made no difference. I can't see how I can get such a result with the 8800GTS???

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Default Re: AMD AM2 4200+ slower than 3600+????

3DM06 gives individual scores for both CPU and Graphics. Compare these between the two systems and try to figure out where the problem lies. If graphics related, your video board might have somehow had the speeds changed during the processor switch. If it is processor related, you may need to flash the BIOS on your board to handle the faster processor (not uncommon if the cores are a bit different between the 3600 and 4200 chips).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the tips.
    The BIOS is the latest (updated before I swapped the CPU).
    I can't test with the other CPU as I don't have it anymore.
    I can confirm that the GPU is running OK as I see the figures in the NVIDIA control panel, also see the CPU speed which is 2.2GHz, So all seems fine.
    Memory speed 533Mhz

Just wondering. I checked the scores for the CPU and are quite healty, but the scores for the video card are equal to a Geforece256!!
    It picks it up as 100Mhz!!!
    Now this card needs 24Amps on 12 Volts according to the manufacturer.
    My power supply can only do 18Amps.

Could this be the problem? I noticed some artifacts and sort of black spots appearing on the screen when running 3DMark graphics test.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

If you are running a 8800 series video card without having a modern hi-end PSU, then it would be a good place to start. I don't see why your score would have once been high them suddenly dropped off, but all of the 8800 series boards really need a solid performing power supply. I have been hearing 750w as an absolute minimum for anyone running a SLI with these beasts, so having good power may be at least a part of your problem if not the entire thing.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Just got PSU which can do 34Amp on 12Volts.
    Will see tonight what id does.

OK. The new PSU eliminated the "black spots" I had coming up on the screen sometimes, but 3DMARK scores did not improved.

Rolled back the Nvidia driver to the original that came with the video card and all was OK.
    It seems that the latest NVIDIA driver is not compatible with the GeForce 8800 series as yet, which is very strange!!!

Flight SIM X is still very sluggish though, any tips on that?

Thread Information