Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: can damage come from underclocking ???

Lightbulb can damage come from underclocking ???

i've got a nvidia 6800 xt which i've overclockt with the ati tool to make the core run at 450hz instead of 350 wile gaming but it still runs at 350 hz wile im just browsing in windows so i was woundering can any damage come from underclocking it to 200 or 250 hz seeing as i dont realy need that much performance wile browsing around in windows

-spawn

Default Re: can damage come from underclocking ???

It underclocks itself for 2D operation. All modern video cards have separate clock speeds for 3D and 2D.

I wouldn't think that under clocking would hurt but its extra work for you

well it runs at 350 in 2D and i've oc'd it to 450 in 3d low and 450 in 3d high

but umm actualy whats 3d low, i gues high would be games but is low vids or something???

Undervolting is worse than underclocking. I have heard of a few instances of it hurting the card, but the people were undervolting and underclocking.

There really is nothing to gain from underclocking.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by spawn666999 View Post
    i've got a nvidia 6800 xt which i've overclockt with the ati tool to make the core run at 450hz instead of 350 wile gaming but it still runs at 350 hz wile im just browsing in windows so i was woundering can any damage come from underclocking it to 200 or 250 hz seeing as i dont realy need that much performance wile browsing around in windows

-spawn

ok... first i wanna know how you even considered overclocking.
    your GPU (NV40/NV41/or NV42), all of which have SEPERATE clocks for 2D and 3D... if you actually looked before you overclocked, you would have seen your 3D clock at 350MHz, and 2D at 250MHz juss like after you overclocked. So your answer to: can damage come from underclocking ???"... how? when you didnt underclock??? I on the other hand have a 7900 GS where the 2D and 3D clocks are the same, and i havent even kept it oc'd yet. Funny i use ATi Tool v0.26, and looking at it now, it tells you ALL your clocks as soon as you open the thing ffs. BLIND???

So why did you consider overclocking AND registering in a forum trying to get an answer google could've gave you? And as for the ppl here that replied to your "problem", (idiots) its because of them, this will be my ONLY post here. Sell your card and your computer kid to someone that actually knows what to do with it. CLICK
    Last edited by jurassic1024; 05-04-2007 at 06:05 AM.

I've got a few things to say. Firstly, jurrasic1024 is the type of person that should be kicked out of society for not being helpful what-so-ever and yet being rude about it too. If you ever do come back and read this post, then you may want to read the other posts again. Especially because spawn wasn't asking how he could see the speeds. He was asking about any dangers. Remember, we were all newbies one time, just like we were all kids before growing up. Which you still haven't seemed to be able to master. CLICK

Secondly, the whole, all modern cards have seperate 2D and 3D clock speeds, tell that to my X1800... it has one clock speed... and it's always on the max speed... pretty annoying, and it likes to heat up even when I'm only browsing, but at least my fan is quiet. Are seperate 2D and 3D clocks "out of fashion" or something, or is it mostly a high-end Nvidia thing, as all of my cards have had the same clock speeds.

Thirdly, overclocking is more dangerous to the card than underclocking is. As mentioned though, undervolting can damage the card, so don't touch the voltage if at all possible, just adjust the clock speeds. To be fair, the 2D clock speeds you have now are fine as they are the stock ones anyhow. Any real advantages from lower speeds would be slightly prolonged life-span and some power savings, but these would be minimal at best, so I wouldn't worry about them.

Thread Information