Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My first CPU overclock. Help wanted.

Question My first CPU overclock. Help wanted.

Firstly let me say this so its very clear: I AM AN OVERCLOCKING NOOB!

I've never been one for overclocking my CPU and therefore have never done it. However I have just built a new system at the heart of which is an Core 2 Duo E6600. I have heard and read of the fact that these CPU's are fantastic for overclocking and have a lot of overclocking potential. What I want advice on is:

How far should I go?
    What's a safe overclock I can expect?
    How risky is overclocking?
    And advice on anything further I can do to make this safe.

Here is a run down of the important bits of my system:

CPU: E6600 2.4Ghz
    RAM: 2GB 667Mhz
    MO/BO: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
    Graphics: XFX 8600GT
    Case: CoolerMaster Centurion RC-534 Plus
    PSU: 430W
    Cooling: 3x 120mm fans (1x Front, 1x Back, 1x Side)

Ok. Now what SAFE overclock can I manage with that gear?
    Last edited by Cello17; 05-23-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Added the PSU details

Default Re: My first CPU overclock. Help wanted.

sod all with that tiny 430W PSU if you want to overclock you'll need to replace it with an better one of atleast 550W as you'll need to increase voltages on your ram and cpu to get any sort of half descent OC other than that i cant see why you cant get 3.0 ~ 3.2 GHz outta that cpu with good cooling (dont try using the HSF that comes with the CPU) the other thing is what ram did you buy that will also need to be able to cope with any overclock you do also go here it'll tell you exacly how much power your PSU will need to cope with your system
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    Last edited by Athlonite; 05-26-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Agreed that the 430W psu is insuffecient for large OCs, but it may work for small boosts. I once overclocked my P4 to 2.8 Ghz, but my mobo burned out. My replacement board has no OC option, but oh no! It does not have overclockability! Ack!

You will also need to replace that stock CPU cooler, but the stock may work for small boosts.

But, be sure to check for stability!

Good Luck, and be sure not to destroy your mobo!

First i would suggest a 600w or higher PSU. Second, overclocking is a process, everyone will have a different instability point therefore your overclock is tailored to your computer. Here is someone with a semi-similiar setup as you and what they are running at...

Thread Information