Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new o.c. e6300 geil ltra 6400 asus p5k

Default Re: new o.c. e6300 geil ltra 6400 asus p5k

Did your board arrive OK ?

no i got a wait till monday they phoned to tell me sum thing went wrong and order was misplace

will definitely have it monday

DISCLAIMER

All information given herein is provided on a “use at your own risk” basis, please be aware that warranties can be voided by overclocking and modifications, proceed at your own risk.

OK, regardless of the cpu the method will be the same so I guess we'll start off with the basics.

The cpu:

First you need to ensure you have adequate cooling before overclocking. Recommended air coolers for large overclocks at the time of writing (quad up to 3.6GHz) would be Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (with dual fans), Tuniq Tower 120 (with dual fans) or Zalman 9700NT (probably in that order for efficiency too btw). Not having one of these does not preclude overclocking as no matter which cooler you use constantly checking the temperatures is of major importance. A good quality TIM (Thermal Interface Material) is recommended, Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX2 are market favourites at present though Tuniq TX2 has shown good qualities in reviews as well.

OK, so the preamble out of the way we move onto the oc itself, in my opinion this is best achieved by altering settings in the bios as opposed to using the supplied AI Booster or any software for that matter. Software you will require is monitoring software for temperature (I would recommend Core Temp 0.95.4 beta as it is optimised for quad core processors and give accurate readings, Intel Thermal Analysis Tool is another option) Other software required would be a stress tester, (to test the oc for stability) I prefer either Prime95 or Orthos with Prime95 being my "weapon of choice" so to speak, as it offers an easy to use interface and tests for CPU, Memory and a combined test. Also CPU-z is a handy tool for checking FSB (Front side bus) and vCore. (cpu core voltage)

If your voltage in the bios is set to auto it will compensate for the higher FSB and adjust the voltage accordingly so for this first stage we'll leave it as it is. You can get a reading of the vcore from CPU-z when in Windows.

OK, now that we have the software required to check our oc we can start. Basically you need to use the multiplier and FSB to oc, the Q6600 multiplier offers settings from 6 to 9 inclusive, the e6300 offers 6&7, these in conjunction with the FSB dictate the speed your cpu will run at, e.g. e6300 – 266*7 = 1.86GHz, Q6600 - FSB 266*9 = 2.4GHz. An easy way to work out what FSB to use is take your target cpu speed and divide it by the available multipliers. So for example if I wanted to oc the e6300 to 2.4GHz I would try 400*6 = 2.4GHz, the bonus of using the 6 multiplier here is the FSB is 400 which is the frequency your ram runs at stock so you would get a 1:1 dram:FSB ratio, the same would apply for the Q6600 to oc it to 3.2GHz if you used an 8 multiplier, 400*8 = 3.2GHz which also gives you a 1:1 dram:FSB ratio. (or 400*9 = 3.6GHz etc)

Refer to your m/board manual for the location of these settings options in the bios.

Depending on whether you wish to oc your ram (FSB : DDR ratio of 1:1) or use a divider (e.g. 2:3) and keep your ram at it's rated speeds is up to you, both ways work though you will probably need to give the ram some more voltage and loosen the timings to oc it past it's rated speed. For the sake of this exercise we'll use a divider and run the memory at its rated speed, we can oc this later if required.

Once the pc is set up and running stable at default speeds and voltages we can look at overclocking. Note the vcore reading with CPU-z this will be the start point for our oc voltage.

Personally when I start to oc a new setup I will oc the cpu first with the ram running at its rated speed and timings (using a divider), I select the target speed, input the figures required (FSB, multiplier & voltage) in the bios, save and exit. If the pc boots all is well and good, next step is running the cpu under full load to test for stability, if it doesn't boot there are usually two main reasons, the target oc is too high or the cpu is not getting enough voltage so back into the bios and adjust the voltage (we know it's the voltage because we are ocing in small steps right? we didn't jump into 4.0GHz from the word go and the ram is running at its rated speed, timings and voltage so it is unlikely to be a problem)

So you raise the voltage to the cpu by one increment, save and exit and see if it boots, continue this if required with one voltage increment at a time until you boot into Windows (it shouldn't take more than one or two increments from the previous oc.)

Make a note of each setting each time you try it to avoid duplication.

Once you get into Windows the first thing to check is the temp of the cpu, if it is OK then you can run a stability test like Prime95 or Orthos or similar. During testing if instability is detected one of two things usually occurs, the programme (or part of it e.g a worker thread in Prime95/Orthos) will crash or the pc will reset, don't panic, just go back into the bios and up the voltage one more increment, save and exit, repeat the above procedure until you achieve a stable oc under full load. Always keep an eye on temperatures at load, if they climb to unacceptable heights stop stress testing.

Be aware that each cpu has a maximum recommended voltage threshold, in the case of the Q6600 it is 1.5v, to exceed this requires major cooling as the extra voltage equates to extra heat.

That’s basically it, trial and error ensues until you reach a combination that gives the desired result, i.e. a stable overclock.

I didn’t want this post to become a book so I’ll stop here and see how you get on and answer any questions you may have.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 12-17-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

yo man, right investigated a little dont know if this is ok with temps

cpu 17*c/62.5f

motherbard 26*c/78.5*f ( i dont know if these temps r ok ????? are they too warm ? is it ok? )

my v.core is runnin at 1.384

ddr2 864mhz cpu 2.52ghz I am not on my computer at the moment as i dont know if my temperatures are runnin high

oh also when i tried to install my audio driver for onboard soundcard all i get is an error message, any ideas, i tried to download it from asus nd that asnt worked either

also when i knock my pc on i get an error message sayin cpu fan error?

also will post back core temp beta readings all ur help much appreciated

memory latency

4-4-4-12

i havent changed the voltage myself

do u think i can get more out of my chip and ram if yes how should i go about it

(what should i do to get more out of everything or have i exceeded my limit

cpuid 0x6f2
    APICID 0
    Revision L2
    processor e6300
    Frequency 2520.05mhz 360.01 x 7.0
    platform 775
    VID 1.3250v

cpu 0 temperature reading

Tjunction 100*c
    Core 0 75*c to the Tjunction
    Core 1 74*c to the Tjunction

OK, first thing I see is the first cpu temp reading was incorrect at 17C, it is actually 25-26C which although higher is still a good temp. I assume these are idle temps, what are they when you run Prime95 (i.e. load temps with all four cores at 100% load)

Is that voltage reading a) in the bios? b) in Windows? c) load or idle?

It appears that your ram is holding up, did you try ocing the cpu only (divider) or did you just launch straight into ocing them both??

For the sound, go into control panel > add/remove programmes and see if there is a Microsoft HD audio driver listed there, if there is uninstall it, grab the latest driver file direct from the Realtek site and install that.

Cpu fan error, you do have the cooler fan plugged into the right header yeah?? top right corner of the board?? not the chasis fan header bottom left of the cpu by the heatpipes.

4-4-4-12 is standard for 6400, you might run into problems trying to retain those timings as you're ocing your ram, if you do have trouble try loosening the timings to 5-5-5-15

Quote Originally Posted by samtomjohn1 View Post
    i havent changed the voltage myself

do u think i can get more out of my chip and ram if yes how should i go about it

(what should i do to get more out of everything or have i exceeded my limit
    I think you need to take control of the vcore and adjust it yourself, that way you'll have more control and quite probably get more out of it.

Lower voltage = lower temps = higher overclocks.

At the moment your methodology is a little haphazrd, I believe you need to slow down and gather some data, so far you have not reported the temperatures of the cpu at full load (Prime95) yet, that is one of the most important considerations (along with vcore) that need to be looked at before anything else. Do you have any idea of the temps at full load with the cpu at 2.5GHz??

Have you run Prime95 at all to see if the oc is stable??

How I achieved 3.6GHz with my Q6600

Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 12-19-2007 at 04:34 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

What's going on mate, you've gone quiet, is there anything wrong???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's going on mate, you've gone quiet, is there anything wrong???

its o.k. my pc hasnt blown up just had problem with i.s.p
    dreaded tiscali cut me off for no reason at all

just wondering if u can give me a link for prime 95 as i dont usually use these software

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information