Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking question

Default Re: Overclocking question

well, if it isn't too much trouble, can you use that configurator and advise me what I should get from it if I want to go between $2,400-$3000? I really have no clue what I need to get so I don't have bottlenecks and just wasting extra money on parts that isn't doing what it's supposed to. I'll mostly be using this computer for gaming and don't really want to upgrade for another 4-5 years.

oh and also, I MIGHT want to do SLI eventually in the future, so I don't want to restrict myself to a motherboard that can't support it. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ryuhou; 05-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Looking at the Configurator I find it extremely limiting as to the options offered.

Case: whatever spins your wheels, good air flow is a must. (I don't have time to look at pictures of the options offered)

PSU: Something around the 700-800W (maybe higher if considering triple SLi)

CPU: Q9450 (probably overkill but one would expect games released in the next 4-5 year period would start utilising all cores)

CPU Cooler: There are far better options available than offered in the configurator, the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme is still one of the best coolers on the market, also look at Tuniq Tower 120, Noctua NH-U12P, Thermalright IFX-14 & Zalman 9700NT

Memory: Dependent on the OS you choose really, 32bit then 2-3GB DDR2, 64bit 4GB DDR2. For your budget you could go DDR3 I suppose and save elsewhere, it would be more "future proof" but is more expensive.

GFX: 9800GX2 is top of the line at present.

Drives: Once again your call which depends on usage requirements.

Honestly I don't think swapping functionality (P35/P45 - X38/X48) for the possibility of "maybe" going SLi (650i, 680i, 780i, 790i) in the future is a good option, you really need to make a firm decision on this and stick with it. I personally think that SLi is a bit of a gimmick at present and only the benchmark crowd are seeing any benefit from it unless you run at massive resolutions 1600*1200 +
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

I prefer the Intel chipsets myself but do stay away from the 6XXi nVIDIA based mainboards and DDR3 is a huge waste of $'s.

So I placed the order at the site, and this is what's in it.

Case ( [New !!!] Nzxt Tempest Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
    Case Lighting ( None )
    Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- [$50 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Thermaltake Toughpower W0155RU Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
    Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (4x 2.66GHz/12MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
    Processor Cooling ( [$10 OFF Mail-In Rebate] [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
    Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-T Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, 3-Way P 3-Way SLI & EPU Technology )
    Memory ( 4096MB [2048MB X2] DDR2-1066 PC2 8500 Memory Module Corsair Dominator )
    Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
    Video Card Brand ( === High Performance === eVGA Brand Video Card Powered by NVIDIA )
    Hard Drive ( Gaming HARD DRIVES [Serial ATA-150, 10,000 RPM] WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 16M Cache Hard Drive )
    2nd Hard Drive ( None )
    External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
    CD/DVD Drive ( None )
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony Dual Format/Double Layer 20X DVDR/RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
    Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
    Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    Floppy Drive ( None )
    Monitor ( None )
    2nd Monitor ( None )
    Keyboard ( Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard )
    Mouse ( Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse )
    USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
    Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Black )
    Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
    Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 64-Bit )

I guess the question would be, overall is this fine? And how do I go about OCing the CPU to around 3.5ghz? I really have no clue what to do from here on lol.

Nice setup, I guess first step would be to find the 780i maximum FSB, you'll need 437-438 minimum to hit 3.5GHz as you have an 8x max multi.

Realistically you should work your way up to 3.5GHz rather than jump straight to it, it is a rather major oc at ~30%.

I'd try 400*7 first, then 400*7.5 maybe, then 400*8 (assuming the board will do 400MHz FSB which it should) but it'll take a lot of trial and error unless you can find a bios template on the net somewhere.

Thermal spec is 71.4C, stay under that, and I would probably try to stay under 1.4v vcore (though you may be able to go higher I would search the web to confirm what others are doing to be safe)

Have fun with it.

:)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

How do I go about only OCing the CPU without OCing the rest of the things, like RAM and video card? I was under the impression that raising the FSB can do that?

Also I would only need to change voltage on CPU, and change FSB, I don't need to touch anything else right?

Edit: on second thought I don't even want to go as far as 3.5, I just need to get to 3.0-3.2 and it's fine with me. Anyone have any idea how much voltage I need to add? Supposely putting FSB at 375 would give me 3.0, and 400 would give me 3.2 I think.
    Last edited by Ryuhou; 06-02-2008 at 11:15 PM.

I called them and changed the Asus P5N-T Deluxe to the Striker II Formula. Apparently the P5N-T sucked when I read about it somewhere.

Raising the FSB will affect the cpu, can affect the memory and won't affect the video card.

To only overclock the cpu you will need to use a "divider" in your bios that allows a ratio to be used between the FSB and the memory speed, this is called "unlinking your memory from the FSB"

Vcore may (will probably) need to be raised to achieve any oc as large as you intend, this is trial and error unless you can find an overclocking guide or bios template on the net.

Overclocking is a lot of trial and error until you reach your goal, no one can tell you exactly what values to select in your bios as every board/cpu/pc is different. The best you can do is to use any suggestions as a guide and go from there.

I would suggest you Google an overclocking guide for your board/cpu combo or at the very least for the board so you will become more familiar with your bios options.

Be aware that overclocking can negate warranty and destroy components (in a worst case scenario) so proceed at your own risk.

Good luck and have fun.

My computer finally got to me, I checked system information and my 9800 GX2 is showing having 512mb Adapter RAM. Does this mean it's 512mb x2? 512mb for each GPU on the card? or I got screwed and got the 512mb version of the card? If I got the 512mb version instead of the 1gb version, I need to call the company and tell them the problem. Thanks in advance for anyone with any insight on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information